Half Empty? Half Full?

Started by MichaelSesto, March 14, 2011, 12:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelSesto

I am the optimist. Keyshot gets me headed in the right direction, and fast! Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

PhilippeV8

Gordon Lardi

NEVERMIND THAT IT WAS DONE IN KEYSHOT, I LOVE THIS DESIGN!!!!!WELL DONE :o

Gordon Lardi

HALF FULL ;D

NormanHadley

Michael- really like these. I think it's my round so fancy a swig from this Klein bottle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle

PhilippeV8

Nice one Norman !
Is that wine on the inside or on the outside ? :p  Can you render this without the wine ?  This way we can better view what the glass is doing at the botom of this.

NormanHadley

Hi Phillipe

Here is the 100% empty version. I've changed it to green because it looks unnaturally dark in white when you get more than one thickness. I should probably increase my ray bounces.

justindustrial

Super cool, but it looks pretty tricky to pour out of!

PhilippeV8

Nevermind render quality .. it had to be a quick render before I start (real) work.

Seeing these funny glas things here, I had to do a quick concept-render of my "invention".  I've had this idea for quite a long time now .. a glass with integrated opener.  It doesn't have to be glass, it could be hard plastic like the one from re-usable-plastic-cups for festivals or such.
I have no idea if this could be produced ... either way ... I kinda like this idea as a gadget.

NormanHadley

Like the idea, Philippe, but that'd have to be one helluva material to do it in one. Probably a steel insert would be the way to go. I say this because my daughter made a bottle opener at school last year. In these health-and-safety-conscious times,  the only material they were entrusted to work with with was aluminium (that's "aluminum" for all you US-English speakers out there). After a dozen uses, it looked like it had been chewed by a tyrannosaur. Those crinkly steel caps are tougher than they look - as anyone who's ever tried to bit one off will attest.

PhilippeV8

It does have a metal insert indeed.  That was part of the plan.

Unless for gadgetery .. it could be made from the same plastic used to make re-usable cups.  Here (in Belgium) on some festivals we have such cups and I can tell you .. the material used for those is so "hard-bitten" that you could step on one (real hard!) and it would NOT crack!  In the case of a gadget, who cares if it doesn't work +5.000 times to open a bottle ;)

But in this render it's glass with a chrome insert.  Perhaps scrached aluminium would have made that clearer ;)

NormanHadley

QuoteIt does have a metal insert indeed.  That was part of the plan.

Ah, I see it now. Might be worth rendering it with an anodised metal finish so it stands out.

PhilippeV8

I've added it with the previous post.