Toon Material Transparency Bug??

Started by theAVator, June 15, 2017, 06:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theAVator

Not sure if this should go here or in the material board, but since I'm not sure if it's supposed to work this way, I'll put it here.

I noticed in some renderings I did last night that the toon materials I have that contain a small amount of transparency are transparent all the way to the background, not to whatever geometry is behind them. Is that how it's supposed to work or no...?

In my example I'm showing the inside of a truck cab facing the dash, I have a toon material I created applied to the accessories so that the customer can see where they're mounted, how big they are, where the electrical connections are, where the wires run, etc...  But the material is transparent straight through to the background even though there is a dash and firewall and engine and body panels and more between the accessory and the background. Is it supposed to do this and I just wasn't aware? Or, should the transparency actually be showing the object directly behind it?

Just more info: I did several renders with different lighting settings (basic, product, interior, custom) and they all turned out like this.

Thanks!

guest84672

Can you post an image or share an example? I can't reproduce this in KeyShot 6.

theAVator

I can't post or share the actual model/renders, but it was replicated easily enough using the primitives in KS.

I render out PNGs with transparency for most of my renders - I typically use Max Time setting to control how long they render. After rendering I bring them into Photoshop to crop and touch up anything I need to (adjust levels, colors, saturation, etc). As you can see in the images attached, the toon material items are transparent through the objects behind them to the background where you can see the Photoshop transparent background checkerboard pattern.

In the screen shots I included the toon material settings, a quick render of each setup showing relation of the objects to each other, and then rendered images showing the phenomenon in two different setups.

If it helps:
Keyshot 6 Pro (6.3.23)
Dell Precision Tower
Win10 Enterprise
Xeon CPU E5-1660 @ 3.0GHz
64GB RAM

jhiker

I see what you mean now I've tried it.
#1 is a screen cap from KS
#2 is the PNG with alpha channel rendered from KS
#3 is the same PNG opened in GIMP

theAVator

Yes, that's exactly what it looks like through each step.
It looks right in KS, the rendered product you can't really tell until you bring it into something else for post-prod - i.e. GIMP or Photoshop.

DriesV

Hmm, this does seem like a bug.

Dries

DriesV

It is fixed for KeyShot 7 though.

Dries