frosted glass problem

Started by a737, March 16, 2011, 10:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a737

Hi,

I am trying to render a table with wooden legs and frosted glass on top, but a black shadow appears. The material I am using is the heavy frosted one. When taking a screenshot it seems to look ok, but when rendered this is the image it appears ( attached downwards).

Does anybody know what can be done?

thanks!

KeyShot

The easiest way to address this issue is to use the 'Realtime rendering option' in the rendering dialog.
Remember to turn on indirect illumination in the realtime tab to get the lighting through the glass.
This solution should be quite robust for this setting.

The standard renderer will need a higher global illumination quality setting and depending on your model you may need to lift the table slightly above the wooden legs.

-- Henrik

KeyShot

Also, please make sure the ray bounce level is above 6 (I would think 8-10) is good for this setup.

-- Henrik

PhilippeV8

JeffM

Shadow quality controls the ground shadows, the global illumination quality affect the self shadows.

jjeconomaki

Jeff;

Question; if Shadow Quality controls ground shadows, why shouldn't it be name Ground Shadow Quality?  Little things like this make life way easier for those learning and for intermittent users with decaying brains.

--John

PhilippeV8

!!! OK !!! :)

That's good to know ... must've missed that in the manual ..  I've got it printed out on my desk for reference though ;)  Always handy if you're not quite sure what to do with the material options.

JeffM

Quote from: jjeconomaki on March 16, 2011, 01:26:29 PM
Jeff;

Question; if Shadow Quality controls ground shadows, why shouldn't it be name Ground Shadow Quality?  Little things like this make life way easier for those learning and for intermittent users with decaying brains.

--John

The "shadow quality" actually does affect the self shadows a bit as well, just not nearly as much as the control you get with "global illumination".

a737

Thanks!!

that was really useful!