Main Menu

Open vs Import

Started by PhilippeV8, March 24, 2011, 05:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilippeV8

Sometimes when I want to open a file it asks me import options.  When I then close KS and open the file from explorer it doesn't do that.

guest84672

Correct - Import and Open are 2 different operations. You should always use "File>Open", not unless you truly want to import your BIP file, i.e add it to an existing scene.

This seems to be confusing for many people. We will change this behavior in the future.

PhilippeV8

Ok, I got that ... I do use the File>Import a lot.
but the thing is:

Most of the time I do File>Open and it works ok.  Sometimes when I try to File>Open a file, it gives me an Import file dialog.  Could it be something broken in the file ?  Cuz when I open the file from explorer (close KS and double click the .bip) it opens without no Import dialog.  Then when I save that file to another name the issue is gone most of the time.

guest84672

I have never seen file open bringing up the Import dialog. This sounds strange. When you double click on the file KeyShot will open it, not import it.

Also keep in mind that "o" and "i" are right next to each other on the keyboard ... ;-)

PhilippeV8

It can't be the keyboard cuz I rarely use shortcuts for those kind of things.
I'll look out for a file that does this and if it keeps doing it, I might send it over.

Or is it impossible that it's something wrong in the file ?

PhilippeV8

Ok, I got a file here .. when I open KS and hit File>Open then select the file it gives me

"KeyShot Import Settings"
General:
-center geometry
-snap to ground
Orientation:
-x up
-y up
-z up
Advanced

When I hit OK it gives an error this time:

KeyShot 2 Import Error
"C:/Documents and Settings/....blah blah/sier_v8.3.bip" does not contain 3d geometry.
You may need to export polygonal data from your modeling system.
For additional help please contact... etc.

But when I double click the file in explorer with KS closed, it fires KS and loads the file with no problem ...

PS, I'm on V2.2.45

JeffM

Thanks for the upated info.

Can you send us that file?

You should definitely update to 2.2.52, available on here.

Thanks!

guest84672

I actually have seen this - now that you mention it. Had that with some files that were generated in 2.1. Fixed with 2.2.52.