Main Menu

Shift lens

Started by keisuh, March 25, 2010, 03:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keisuh

Hi

Shifting  lens is definitely needed in Japan., especially for automotive industry.
The function distorts camera angle a little bit in order to make objects nicer.
In Maya you can  do this by using some plug in or  by using  the function called Two-point perspective camera correction.

This one is most important but more camera setting  is always welcomed.

Thanks

guest84672

I am not sure I understand. Do you mean changing the perspective? Or pan the camera?

JohnG

I've asked for the same thing in a previous post but didn't get a response so I assumed this wasn't high on your agenda of things to add to Keyshot.

In the real world a professional camera with a shift lens means that you can move/shift the lens up, down, left or right with respect to the position of the film plane or sensor this allows you to prevent the convergence of vertical or horizontal lines in the image.

In the 3D world you can simulate this by ignoring the vertical component when the camera is tilted up or down again this will mean that the vertical lines in the image don't converge. Vray and Indigo are two programs (among others) which have this functionality.
In fact you could go further by allowing us to specify the sensor size of Keyshot's camera. This would allow for more accurate matching between Keyshot's camera and the camera used to shoot the background.

keisuh

Just take a look at this page
http://www.isok.jp/scitech/visual/aori.htm

Sorry it is all Japanese  ;) but see the difference of 2 pictures.
The roof of the building  looks shorter on the first photos. It is natural since you are using  wider lens and object is big.
The second one and the third one are nicer because the roof looks longer by using  shifting  camera lens.
This is an extreme example to make a point but hopefully you will understand.
Physically perspective is not correct since it uses distorted lens but this technic is widely used.

In japan in order to create car brochure this is imperative.   

andy.engelkemier

I also want this to fix parallax of an image. Most time when I have a shot of something rectangular they want it to be plain and boring. Since keyshot doesn't allow me to fix it using the camera I have to render it bigger, take it into photoshop and either do camera correction filter, or use the free transform tool to make sure the left and right vertical lines are, for the most part, parallel.

It's a much less dramatic shot, but many people find it more pleasing (for some reason).

3dsMax has a plugin built in simply called the "camera modifier." Vray uses the term lense shift.
This would definitely be a useful setting to add. I'd add vertical shift And horizontal. horizontal isn't useful as often for us here, but is still needed occasionally by some.

quigley

I'll add my vote to this as well. This is essential for architectural (external) work.

keisuh

I guess 2.2 has new function importing .fbx camera position.
So, by using external program such as Maya , this issue is resolved..
But again if KS itself has its function, it is better.

PhilippeV8

+1

I make renders of sections of walls with window and our ventilation products and I get this comment often that the vertical lines are going this way or that way .. they want them parallel.  Even if with a normal simple camera you would get the same effect in real life...

andy.engelkemier

with a normal Cheap camera, yes you would get that, but with a super high end camera you can shift the lens and fix it.

Also, I doubt fbx camera import will solve anything with this issue. As far as I know, fbx doesn't hold camera shift. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
And even if it does, if the program that is importing it doesn't support lens shift, then the setting will simply be ignored.

keisuh

Correct

I tried with Maya 2010 and KeyShot 2.2.29
I put some value inside FilmOffset ( Y I guess) of FilmBack inside camera attribute window.
It creates shift lens and exported to KS as .fbx.

The camera position was not imported properly. :-\
You need to change the parameter to make it look like in Maya.
There is workaround

guest84672

2.2.33 fixes this. Please try again.

Speedster

"Shift Lens".  For reference just think of the adjustments we could get on the old-style bellows "View Camera", like especially the all important swings and tilts. Vertical Shift was very useful also to compose on the ground-glass. Would be great in KS! 
Bill G