Network slave core controls and schedules

Started by Rida, June 18, 2017, 04:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rida

I use a few dedicated machines for the bulk of my network slave rendering but I also use some of the office computers to make up the total amount of cores available to me.  I use the network slave scheduling feature to set when I can use these computers but it only gives me an all or nothing option in terms of the amount of cores I can use from each computer.   During working hours I could get away with using at least 2 cores each of the office computers without impacting the speed or user experience.   It would be awesome if I could set how many cores to use from each slave at certain times. 

Also,  if a assign a slave to use e.g. 12 cores but be inactive during working hours and have other computers available, it will count the inactive cores and not use the cores from other available slaves to render.  I have more cores available than what my network license allows but would like the network to use available (active) cores and disregard the inactive ones.   This will allow me to set the slave schedules to fit the availability of the user computers and use the full amount of cores to render at all times.

DMerz III

Interesting idea!

I heard KS7 is going to include some more functionality in the network rendering realm, perhaps this is one of the areas they enhanced? We'll see!

DanW

We had this functionality in version 6, but it seems to be missing now (see https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=9771.0). This is a non-starter for our location, as we are migrating to a multi-use single machine that will need to drop cores for FARO work while a user is logged in. Any chance the core throttling could make a come-back?

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Rida on June 18, 2017, 04:00:09 PM
I use a few dedicated machines for the bulk of my network slave rendering but I also use some of the office computers to make up the total amount of cores available to me.  I use the network slave scheduling feature to set when I can use these computers but it only gives me an all or nothing option in terms of the amount of cores I can use from each computer.   During working hours I could get away with using at least 2 cores each of the office computers without impacting the speed or user experience.   It would be awesome if I could set how many cores to use from each slave at certain times. 

Also,  if a assign a slave to use e.g. 12 cores but be inactive during working hours and have other computers available, it will count the inactive cores and not use the cores from other available slaves to render.  I have more cores available than what my network license allows but would like the network to use available (active) cores and disregard the inactive ones.   This will allow me to set the slave schedules to fit the availability of the user computers and use the full amount of cores to render at all times.

Hi, I just pulled this from the KS7 Network Rendering manual. Will this solve your issues? Image attached.

monson67

From the Worker Overview window, I see no way to change the number of cores allowed under the Allowed Cores column. Nothing happens when left-clicking. Right-clicking brings up the same dropdown menu that appears regardless of which column you right-click on, with "Tail log", "Set log level" and "Show tasks processed" as the only options.
I am doing this from the Manager computer while logged in as the admin.

MrTomB

the controls are actually in Management --> Workers and Pools.

The manual is still wrong

However, the controls change nothing