Andersen EV - A1 Automotive charge point

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, June 27, 2017, 02:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Hello,

I'm in an ongoing project with Andersen EV, where I've been allowed to post a hero shot. They've been an absolute joy to work with, and are more than willing to give us creative freedom to produce visual snacks of their product: The A1 automotive charge point for any electrical and hybrid car.

They wanted a hero shot which had a certain Scandinavian architectural suburban feel to it, so me and my colleague (who's a skilled photographer), went out to a local area to produce our own HDRI and backplate.

Some more shots will probably come later this summer. (second image here is simply a crop of the top one).

Hope you like it.

(EDIT: After some valuable feedback from evilmaul (thank you!), I've toned down the local contrast of the paint with an effort to reduce shininess)

evilmaul

cool shot!!

just perhaps the car body reflection bit too much and distracting?
I am not much of a car rendering person :) but I cant help but comparing it to those heads I see often times where there is way too much SSS...well I think that as a rule if you see it it's most likely too much. If the eyes arent distracted by it then it means it's well tuned. Same feels like goes for the reflections here. Just my 2 cents tho ...as i said no car expert here :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: evilmaul on June 27, 2017, 09:19:37 PM
cool shot!!

just perhaps the car body reflection bit too much and distracting?
I am not much of a car rendering person :) but I cant help but comparing it to those heads I see often times where there is way too much SSS...well I think that as a rule if you see it it's most likely too much. If the eyes arent distracted by it then it means it's well tuned. Same feels like goes for the reflections here. Just my 2 cents tho ...as i said no car expert here :)

Oh boy, I kinda wish you hadn't said that. Now it's gonna bug me for the rest of my holidays! No I'm glad you did. I did a comparison with a reference shot, and you are right that it may be a tad too reflective. I thought it was way over the top when you mentioned it, but it wasn't as bad as I feared. No car expert either, but learning to like it.

Thanks for your comment!

Hossein Alfideh

Superb work!
Really nice to see you've made your own HDRI,makes the whole thing original!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Thank you Hossein! Appreciate it :)

Evilmaul: Hope I managed to tone down the shininess in your eyes. I'm satisfied myself, but starting to get kinda blind on this image.

Anyways, summer holiday's coming up, so a render break is in order. Happy holidays everyone.

evilmaul

looks much better! :) also might have been my crappy old monitor at home.
I guess what I wanted to say is that in cases like this reflections coming from only the environment tend not to be realistic as they are not 'occluded' by whatever objects are present at the location. (i.e. ground, garage, wall, trees etc). Perhaps as an experiment next time, you take not just the backdrop pic but a bunch of pics of backdrop from different angles and throw them at a photogrammetry software to do a simple and fast (does not need to be accurate ) reconstruction of the geometry backplate on which you can project the actual backplate from the camera view so when you render this time you will have actual geometry plus projected textures that will reflect (and occlude) rather than those coming only from the env sphere.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: evilmaul on June 28, 2017, 10:08:03 AM
looks much better! :) also might have been my crappy old monitor at home.
I guess what I wanted to say is that in cases like this reflections coming from only the environment tend not to be realistic as they are not 'occluded' by whatever objects are present at the location. (i.e. ground, garage, wall, trees etc). Perhaps as an experiment next time, you take not just the backdrop pic but a bunch of pics of backdrop from different angles and throw them at a photogrammetry software to do a simple and fast (does not need to be accurate ) reconstruction of the geometry backplate on which you can project the actual backplate from the camera view so when you render this time you will have actual geometry plus projected textures that will reflect (and occlude) rather than those coming only from the env sphere.
This is pure gold. Thank you for taking the time to provide this information! I've been looking into photogrammetry lately, primarily to generate a sitting base for products, but I haven't thought about this process at all. Definitely need to test this out.

Thanks again, greatly appreciate your input!

TGS808

Couldn't help but think of this video I saw a few days ago.  :)

https://youtu.be/zSjYra7cYqY

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: TGS808 on June 28, 2017, 12:42:22 PM
Couldn't help but think of this video I saw a few days ago.  :)

Hah, well that's no lie. Due to the tax deduction on electrical and hybrid cars in Norway, the tesla is a very obtainable car. The Capitol (Oslo) is swarming with teslas. Easily the most common car to spot.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Was allowed to publish another one from Andersen EV, which is a more detail shot, charging a Porsche Panamera. The Porsche, wall and vines are from turbosquid, while I had to model the charge port and cable attachment for the Porsche in NX. This posed an interesting challenge where I had use the STL exporter from KeyShot to preserve the position and tie these together with a cable in NX.

Anyways, backplate and HDRI from my colleague. Hope you like it.

NM-92

Woah ! Love the detail shot. Super nice. That upper glow is a nice touch.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: NM-92 on August 30, 2017, 11:00:56 AM
Woah ! Love the detail shot. Super nice. That upper glow is a nice touch.
Thanks Nicolas! Nice to hear from you :)

Despot

Superb image Magnus :) +1 on the bloom/flare

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Despot on August 31, 2017, 09:37:01 AM
Superb image Magnus :) +1 on the bloom/flare
Cheers John! Great to hear from you. Yeah, I always hesitate a bit when adding flares, but I'm glad you guys acknowledge it!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on August 30, 2017, 06:59:50 AM
Was allowed to publish another one from Andersen EV, which is a more detail shot, charging a Porsche Panamera. The Porsche, wall and vines are from turbosquid, while I had to model the charge port and cable attachment for the Porsche in NX. This posed an interesting challenge where I had use the STL exporter from KeyShot to preserve the position and tie these together with a cable in NX.

Anyways, backplate and HDRI from my colleague. Hope you like it.

Stellar as always. Love how consistent your work is.