Mapping repeating/stretching

Started by alexschultz, July 26, 2017, 02:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexschultz

Hello i'm rendering some beds, and I have this problem when I apply my materials.

As you can see the mattress and base the material looks good on the foot and head of the bed, but stretches along the sides.

This particular version worked, but I often have the material for the top of the bed repeating within each bump on the quilting, instead of mapping across the entire surface of the top part,

Is this a model/grouping issue or a KeyShot issue, am I using the wrong mapping type or wrong proportioned jpg or something else.
(model is built in SOLIDWORKS)

Thank you for any help!

HaroldL

alexschultz

Hmm that worked for the border, I usually play with all the mapping options and it's so hit and miss with what works and what doesn't.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: alexschultz on July 26, 2017, 09:52:03 PM
Hmm that worked for the border, I usually play with all the mapping options and it's so hit and miss with what works and what doesn't.

Hi Alex.
Get an overview of the different mapping types here and how they are applying the texture: https://luxion.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/K6M/pages/2621551/Texture+Mapping

Might help to get a better understanding of which ones to use when. With that said, if you need the texture to be positioned very precise you would have to go with UV mapping or maybe splitting up the model in smaller parts and combine several mapping types.

Patterned textures are tough to get right.

Good luck :)

DMerz III

Coming from Solidworks, UV Map Projection probably won't work here either, but ideally, that would be the option you want. It would require your model to be from an entirely different workflow. Box map is probably going to get you closer than the rest, but in KS7, there will be triplanar, which will be ever better!