Smithsonian X 3D Scans (rendered with KeyShot 7 Beta)

Started by Despot, July 30, 2017, 06:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

My most recent renders using KeyShot 7 Beta. New features used are tri-planar mapping and the new HDR Editor features.

The scans are from the Smithsonian X 3D Scan site (https://3d.si.edu/) and are just mesh data, no textures.

The bone material, as well as the sandy rock material were worked up in Substance Designer from scratch and will shortly be available on Gumroad for free.

The Woolly Mammoth was lit with one front facing Area Light and a very weak HDRI, created from scratch in the editor, similar setup for the Cosmic Buddha. The Whale Fossil was lit with one exterior HDRI with a strong sun source.

Thanks for taking a look :)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Hah, oh my science! That's gorgeous stuff. I'm running out of things to say. Such vizardry.

Andrzej Orzecki

This is a serious thing, you created something epic. This material, as well as the shots, have something mysterious in themselves.
Chapeau bas!

Hossein Alfideh

Well I just can't believe what I see here John!These are extraordinary!  :o
Looking at these is like living in the Matrix,I just can't realize what's real anymore!  :D

Esben Oxholm

fa2020

Very nice. These shots are ultra photorealistic. Can I ask you how you downloaded the KS7 beta? Is there any link that I could download it?

richardfunnell

Wow John, these are really superb!! Spot on images :)

nicordf

Having used Keyshot since it had another name (the one we donĀ“t want to remember  ;D ) It keeps surprising me how far it can be pushed in expert hands.

John this is epic! I mean, those textures and lighting!

Will Gibbons

You keep blowing my mind man. You're great at what you do. Killer stuff. Cheers!

Josh3D

DMerz III

Despot

Wow, such wonderful comments guys, thank you... I'm actually shocked at the response  ???

I really do appreciate it.

LayC42

Despot

Quote from: LayC42 on August 04, 2017, 12:34:53 AM
That renders made my day!

Thank you!

cheers
Marco

No, thank you, you made my day with that comment :)

Speedster

Man, these are simply amazing!

And thanks so much for the link to the Smithsonian Institute 3D site!  I just spent an hour there, and had to stop to clean the drool from my keyboard!  The actual download site is difficult to find, so here it is for those brave enough to try out the models.  https://3d.si.edu/download-browser.

Be forewarned that these are HUGE files!  Also, the .obj models are not mapped, and part separation will give the Geometry Editor (and yourself) a workout! 

But WOW is all I can say, to both your renderings and the amazing work being done at the Smithsonian.

Bill G