Render Size...

Started by jarane, April 30, 2011, 10:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarane

Hi everyone,
I have an educational version of KS2. As such it's limited to 4.1 Megapixels in export size.

I've been trying to render a scene using a panorama as a backplate but when I do, most of the resulting 4.1 Megapixel rendering is black above and below the actual image.
That also happens with any non-panoramic image when it doesn't fit KS's "preferred" ratio (it creates black bars on both sides).

Question:
Is there any way to have KS assign the rendered pixels ONLY to usable pixels instead of most of them being wasted in black?

Thanks,
G.

Speedster

Hi G;
Your backplate has to be created to the aspect ratio you want in your final rendering.  It has nothing to do with what KeyShot "sees".  On the main window, go to Edit > Preferences, and be sure "Adjust Aspect Ratiio to Backplate" is checked.  Hopr this helps!
Bill G

jarane

Hi Speedster,
thanks for your reply.

The original backplate is 4907x1158 (all useful image).
I checked the "Adjust Aspect Ratio to Backplate" check box and it was by default checked.

Unfortunately the resulting rendering is mostly wasted black pixels.

Thanks again,
G.

jarane

Solved.

In order for the scene to adopt the back plate's aspect ratio, this MUST be imported to the scene before the 3D models.
Otherwise KS assigns a default aspect ratio that cannot be modified later on.

Something similar happens to the materials and the hdri environments: If you import the hdri environment before opening the materials window,
all the paint chips inside of it are affected by it.
Weird bugs but not fatal.

Thanks again,
G.

Robert V.

What I do to solve this:

Go to options>realtime
disable "Lock aspect ratio"

Change the size of the realview window to a small size, with a different aspect ratio (make it more square).

Then, re-drag the backplate into the realview. keyshot automatically makes the realview fit the backplate ratio.

Go to options>realtime again
enable "Lock aspect ratio"

Most of the time I do this just before I start to render, or before I start to position (with FOV, etc.) the object.

ps, you can also do a region render...

guest84672

Quote from: jarane on May 01, 2011, 09:28:54 AM
[...]
Something similar happens to the materials and the hdri environments: If you import the hdri environment before opening the materials window,
all the paint chips inside of it are affected by it.
Weird bugs but not fatal.
[...]

Not a bug, this behavior is intended. You don't want your materials to re-render every time you make a change to the environment. To see you materials under the giving lighting conditions, right click into the material library and select "Refresh materials".