Network rendering in Keyshot 7 and slave scheduling

Started by JamieTwelve, August 15, 2017, 11:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieTwelve

I have to admit... rarely do I have criticism for Keyshot as a product, but I didn't think the scheduling feature could get any worse than it already was on the Keyshot 6 Network Renderer. Not being able to schedule slaves as a batch was incredibly frustrating, but at least I could save a schedule and apply it to a slave, one by one. Took a little bit, but it wasn't terrible.

In Keyshot 7 Network Rendering, I still cannot schedule slaves as a batch. But even worse, I can no longer save a schedule and apply it to each slave one by one. But I have to schedule each slave by clicking a cell for each hour to turn the slave off, schedule by schedule, slave by slave, hour by hour, day by day, one....by....one..... I mean, the interface could improve this function. So instead of a green cell for the hour being on and a red cell for the hour being off...I could choose an on time from a drop down and an off time. That would make it more efficient. Or, if I could save a schedule for the entire week and apply it to each slave one by one. That would make it more efficient. Or, if I could apply a schedule to multiple slaves. That would make it more efficient.

But you know what would change this entire operation and take something that just took me an hour and a half to schedule all 100 or so slaves, and have it take minutes?

A drop down for an on time, a drop down for an off time....save that schedule, and then batch apply it to the corresponding and desired slaves.

This cannot be hard to do. And I cannot understand why this isn't already implemented, and why it's worse than it was in the last version. Please fix this glaring problem with this software.

monson67

It would also be nice to be able to disable any of the workers from the manager without using the scheduler. One of my workers recently froze up and wouldn't process anything, though it was still connected and had regions assigned to it. So the image it was rendering essentially stalled out.

Rex

Quote from: monson67 on August 18, 2017, 06:41:10 AM
It would also be nice to be able to disable any of the workers from the manager without using the scheduler. One of my workers recently froze up and wouldn't process anything, though it was still connected and had regions assigned to it. So the image it was rendering essentially stalled out.

You have a couple options here. You can double-click on the blue icon in the Workers and Groups dialog to disconnect a worker.

You can also right-click on an individual task to abort it so another machine can make an attempt.

monson67

Quote from: Rex on August 18, 2017, 09:33:23 AM
You can double-click on the blue icon in the Workers and Groups dialog to disconnect a worker.

I've tried this, but it hasn't been working. When I select False, it just reverts back to True. Nothing changes.

Rex

JamieTwelve

Good work Luxion.

Just got the new network rendering update installed and I can now batch schedule slaves. Just  a minor change like this will save me hours setting up slaves in the future.

Thanks!

Rex

Quote from: JamieTwelve on August 28, 2017, 10:26:47 AM
Good work Luxion.

Just got the new network rendering update installed and I can now batch schedule slaves. Just  a minor change like this will save me hours setting up slaves in the future.

Thanks!

Excellent, thanks for bringing it to our attention!

JamieTwelve

Actually, I am having a problem now.

I have set the slaves to adhere to a schedule, but they are ignoring scheduling and rendering anyway. I have 8 of 12 slave machines scheduled to off throughout the day and they are rendering anyway.....causing the PC owners to complain to my IT department that I am using up their resources.

I can contact support, if need be. But this is a new problem since the update.

Rex

Hey Jamie,

I think the issue is that the Worker Schedule is displayed in GMT, not local time.

JamieTwelve