Glass, different appearance?

Started by mykalh86, August 18, 2017, 12:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mykalh86

I have 2 panes of glass; one as a door and one as a side panel. Both have been assigned the same material but in the renders the glass door is darker. Help?

guest84672

Make sure you define the proper "transparency distance" for each glass panel. Double click on the material, and you will find the "transparency distance" input in the material editor.

mykalh86

Where would I find that setting? Sorry I am new to Keyshot.

guest84672

I described it in the second sentence of my response. Here it is again:

Double click on the material, and you will find the "transparency distance" input in the material editor.

mykalh86

Sorry your comment must of updated as I was reading it and described the location. Sorry.

guest84672

mykalh86

It didn't but I'm going to play around with the settings and try again.

mattjgerard

If the geometry is different for the 2 objects, then they will require different settings, if one is thicker than the other or vice versa. Try different material presets to see if they behave the same way, or if you can find one that looks the same on both panels, and use that as a template to make changes to in order to get the look you want.

Another thing to try is to recalculate the normals on both panels, I've had this fix many problems with imported geometry. Not sure why it works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. But, its always one of my troubleshooting steps.

guest84672

Normals have never been an issue. It may be a C4D specific issue, but certainly not when it comes to geometry from a CAD system, or any other system for that matter.

mattjgerard

Quote from: thomasteger on August 23, 2017, 11:32:29 AM
Normals have never been an issue. It may be a C4D specific issue, but certainly not when it comes to geometry from a CAD system, or any other system for that matter.

It may be,  or it might be a remnant of my troubleshooting of the normals tag issue back in KS6 that I don't need anymore, but its engrained in my process when I'm trying to figure stuff out. Cinema is pretty bad at managing normals, so you are probably right.