KS6 Rendering completing in less than Maximum Time

Started by Dan Wolf, August 23, 2017, 12:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Wolf

Dell Precision M6800, 8 core CPU, 32GB RAM / Windows 7 64-bit
KeyShot 6.3.23

I'm trying to create a large pixel size rendering (18000 x 10125) of a fairly large assembly (~2 GB .bip file).  The issue I'm having is the rendering completes in far less time than the specified Maximum Time.  I've done this several times today, and every time, the rendering reaches 100% within 30 minutes, when Maximum Time is set much higher.  Restarting KeyShot and restarting the computer didn't make a difference.  I'm running another one now, using Maximum Time of 1 hour 20 minutes.  13 minutes into the rendering, it's showing 66% completed.  As I'm typing this, it reached 100%, completed in 14:08.

I've tried using both PNG and JPEG as the output format (not sure if that has anything to do with the issue).  I'm attaching screenshots of the render output and options.  I feel like maybe I'm just overlooking something, but I can't figure out why it's not rendering for the Maximum Time I specified.  It creates the image, but obviously the shadows and dark areas are very grainy.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Wolf

I see the same behavior if I create a new scene and add only a cube.  I set the render output to 18000 x 10123, 300 DPI, and Maximum Time of one hour.  It renders the preview from the center out (like drawing a spiral from the center outward) and shows 100% when it fills the preview window.

The difference seems to happen at the point where the preview window changes from showing the whole image to drawing it in a spiral from the center out.  In my test, that happens between 13300 x 7480 and 13400 x 7536.  At 13300 x 7480, the preview window shows the whole image and the completion percentage is on track to render for one hour.  At 13400 x 7536, the preview window draws the image with small squares from the center out, and the completion percentage is on track to render for only a few minutes. 

cmurray

Having the same issue (Keyshot 6.3 Pro). Trying to render a large image for a banner and it completes in 15 minutes or so regardless of maximum time set and the image is pixelated. Also had it freeze at 99% (computer was not frozen, but rendering won't save) when I left it overnight, which is another repeatedly covered topic with no solution.

Apparently there's a size limit for maximum time, but it would be nice if that were actually noted somewhere or fixed.. Suppose I'll try to render it again with the advanced settings vs. max time, but I've lost a day and I don't know if it will freeze again tonight.