Soft Touch Metallic Paint

Started by Robb63, August 29, 2017, 09:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robb63

I have several products that I need to render with a soft touch metallic paint look.

I can get close, but I can't seem to get the flop in color that I need as the color rolls away from the eye while keeping the base color bright. I've attached pictures of what I am trying to represent, and a render of where I am using a guitar string winder (I can't share the actual items I will be rendering, but the size is close on the part I rendered). I'll be rendering this in both red and blue as shown.

I've also attache the KSP for the guitar string winder of where I've managed to get the color. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

DriesV

Hi Robb,

Do you have access to KeyShot 7?
The new Clear-coat Color will allow you to achieve the rich color effect you are looking for.

I attached a quick sample rendering.

Dries

Robb63

Thanks Dries,
I do have KS7, we haven't switched over to it yet, as we are in the final weeks of creating all of the package renderings for our products that ship for the end of the year and can't risk any change over issues. Once we are through the next couple of weeks we will be switching. Can't wait to start playing in 7

We use network rendering here. Do oyu know if we can run the KS6 NR software, and the KS7 NR software at the same time while we switch over to KS7? Or does installing the Keyshot 7 Network Render package overwrite the KS6 version?

Thanks,
Rob

DriesV

Hi Rob,

NR7 is completely separate from NR6. Both versions can run alongside.
By default the KeyShot Network Monitor for KeyShot 7 is configured to also accept jobs from KeyShot 5 and 6, but this behavior can be switched off through a preference.
So in short, yes, you can run NR6 and NR7 at the same time.

Dries

Robb63

I'm experimenting in KS7 with the clearcoat. Did you increase the clearcoat thickness to get the more saturated blue look, or were there other tweaks?
If I set the clearcoat thickness at 1, or up to 25 I'm not seeing a lot of difference in my scene. Certainly not the saturation increase you have in the sample image you posted.

guest84672

Did you change the color of the clear coat?

Robb63

Hi Thomas,
I noticed that option after I posted. In my scene though, the saturation control for the color is way too saturated as soon as I set the saturation to 1%. See the attached for the difference between 0% saturated, and 1%.
Is that the correct jump, and if so is there a way to enter a decimal saturation amount?

DriesV

That's probably because you increased the Clear-coat Thickness?
I just set the Clear-coat Color to blue (with a saturation of around 35%) and left the Thickness to 1.
I did also change the Base Color to a dark blue, because I couldn't see why the Occlusion texture would be useful. :)

Dries

Robb63

Yep, that was it. As soon as I put the Clear-coat thickness back to one I could control it properly.

Thanks!!