Copy/Paste between projects

Started by mattjgerard, September 06, 2017, 09:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

I'm going to request this again:) So many times I am trying to copy and Paste objects from one project to the other. Currently I have to duplicate the project, strip everything out that I don't want, save it, then import it to the other project. It works, but its a hassle. I know this is complicated because the copy/paste has to use the OS's copy/paste system since you can't have multiple KS project open in one instance of KS.

Or a "Duplicate part to..." then pick another open KS project to send it to, similar to Photoshop's Right Click->Duplicate Layer dialoge

Maybe an option could be when importing a KS project into another KS project, have an option to import everything, or bring up a scene tree of the project being imported and be able to select with tick boxes what you want imported.

Thanks!

Esben Oxholm

+1

Have spend some time myself stripping down scenes to export/import just one thing into another scene.
Would be a nice feature.

Will Gibbons

One thing that I've done is create a Scene Set/Model Set and Save as .BIP, then just drag that Bip into the new/other file. Pretty quick.

mattjgerard

That can work for some stuff, but I'm more thinking of just grabbing objects from other scenes, without having to explicitly save a copy, go in strip it out, or create scene sets/model sets, save it out, then go through the import process.

I don't want to create more files of random objects to sort through. I can see how that would work for some people, myself, it would just be faster to open up 2 projects, copy, switch projects, paste and move on. Just like a Word doc. I understand there will be tech limitations because of the fact that you can't have 2 projects open in a single instance of KS. That means it has to use the system copy/paste structure, which might limit what can be transferred or not.

Its a wish! Its a user experience thing, there is a way to make it work now by how WIll stated, and that's what I do now, but it would smooth the user workflow to have the copy/paste function. ITs one of the small UI tweaks that marks the difference between software that works and slick software that works.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mattjgerard on September 07, 2017, 08:20:41 AM
That can work for some stuff, but I'm more thinking of just grabbing objects from other scenes, without having to explicitly save a copy, go in strip it out, or create scene sets/model sets, save it out, then go through the import process.

I don't want to create more files of random objects to sort through. I can see how that would work for some people, myself, it would just be faster to open up 2 projects, copy, switch projects, paste and move on. Just like a Word doc. I understand there will be tech limitations because of the fact that you can't have 2 projects open in a single instance of KS. That means it has to use the system copy/paste structure, which might limit what can be transferred or not.

Its a wish! Its a user experience thing, there is a way to make it work now by how WIll stated, and that's what I do now, but it would smooth the user workflow to have the copy/paste function. ITs one of the small UI tweaks that marks the difference between software that works and slick software that works.

Not to beat a dead horse, but when you create a new model set, you're able to choose what gets cloned into the new one... is this not faster than copying a .bip and then 'stripping' it out? Seems to me like it would be much quicker. Just curious.