Toon Shader Experiments

Started by SteveTalkowski, September 07, 2017, 10:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTalkowski

Hey everyone, this is my first time really delving into the toon shader. I am absolutely LOVING the results, especially when enabling transparency.

I'm also getting the opportunity to test KeyShot out on an AMD 16 core/32 thread 1950X Threadripper system. Check out the performance in this youTube video:

https://youtu.be/cse1Z0OqJCY

-Steve

Arian Shamil

This is an amazing results Steve!
I really love the toon shaders too!
LOVE IT!

mattjgerard

Cool stuff! Can you render out the camera template project that comes with Keyshot and report the FPS? seems that is a standard that people use to gauge how fast a system is. We are looking at getting a couple of render nodes, and was looking at running a couple of Threadripper boxes, since they seem so economical. and that is the chip I've been looking at. Would be interested to see what the FPS of it is.

SteveTalkowski

Quote from: mattjgerard on September 07, 2017, 11:13:17 AM
Cool stuff! Can you render out the camera template project that comes with Keyshot and report the FPS?

Thanks Matt! Here are two screenshots - one from my 2013 Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-core XEON E5 (White Interface) and the other from the AMD 16-Core 1950X (Dark Interface). I just opened the demo scene and let it cook for a few minutes, then did a screen grab. Is this how people normally benchmark, or, is there another method I should be trying?

-Steve

Despot

Fuck a donkey... 243 FPS - -that's rapid...

Love the Toon stuff Steve, starkly beautiful - especially the KS6 Bot

mattjgerard

That's seems to be the quick n dirty way to give a number as to performance, since KS installs with that scene, exactly as you did. Just open it and let it settle on a number.

Geebuz. My 24 core dual proc HP640 is only 144fps. Cripes.

Speedster

My BOXX 16 core (32 hyperthreaded) machine runs the camera at 238 fps.
Bill G

SteveTalkowski

Quote from: Despot on September 07, 2017, 12:26:08 PM
Fuck a donkey... 243 FPS - -that's rapid...

Love the Toon stuff Steve, starkly beautiful - especially the KS6 Bot

Thx! Btw, I reran the benchmark (i hadn't turned everything off prior) and am hitting 270-275 FPS! This thing is a BEAST I tells ya!

Josh3D

Great balls of gravy. 270? That's like Category 5 render speeds  ;D (too soon?)

AMD nailed it with the naming.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: SteveTalkowski on September 07, 2017, 11:49:21 AM
Quote from: mattjgerard on September 07, 2017, 11:13:17 AM
Cool stuff! Can you render out the camera template project that comes with Keyshot and report the FPS?

Thanks Matt! Here are two screenshots - one from my 2013 Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-core XEON E5 (White Interface) and the other from the AMD 16-Core 1950X (Dark Interface). I just opened the demo scene and let it cook for a few minutes, then did a screen grab. Is this how people normally benchmark, or, is there another method I should be trying?

-Steve

Yep. I like to let them cook the same number of seconds and take the screenshot and compare the samples as it's easier for me to grasp (assuming the resolution is the same in both).