KS7 Windows 10 - UV mapping issue

Started by tomlai, September 11, 2017, 02:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomlai

Importing a model from Sketchup with pre-mapped texture.

Mapping is positioned and scaled OK:
(Texture Scale WIdth = 1 and Height = 1)

If I replace the Texture Color map with an identical sized mapping image with different graphics
Mapping scale forgets earlier scaling of 1:1 and takes on the aspect ratio of the imported image.

I need to then make an additional step of Unclicking the aspect Ratio LOCK button and typing "1" in the self-scaled height/width box brings UV mapping to what it was earlier.

This was not the case in KS 6 or earlier...

tomlai

A note: the affected texture map file is not 1:1 scale but rectangular

tomlai

I see that this is not a problem with files created in KS6 which shows up as having some sort of legacy UV mapping. Legacy UV mapping works correctly and retains correct scaling of replaced texture bitmap.

UV Mapping in KS7 wants to default to a square 1:1 map when a new bitmap is imported .... why oh why???

Question: How to activate LEGACY UV mapping???

soren

The UV mapping type works exactly the same in KS6 and KS7, it is just the default settings which are different (and yes, inconvenient).

The defaults will be improved in an update to KeyShot 7. In the meantime, set width and height to 1 (make sure to uncheck locked aspect ratio). Alternatively, if you are applying your texture to an explicitly unwrapped object, you can use the Tiled UV which works for a single UV tile as well.

Søren

tomlai

Can you suggest any method to apply Texture as Legacy Texture? 8)

DriesV

Quote from: tomlai on September 15, 2017, 02:08:05 AM
Can you suggest any method to apply Texture as Legacy Texture? 8)

As suggested by Søren, you can use the 'Tiled UV' texture type, which doesn't have any size parameters and should just work.

Dries

tomlai

I have tried the TILED UV as a work around, but map is appearing like 'faded' and not full intensity .... simple 'diffuse' material ..... when compared to an un-touched UV mapped surface. 

Using UV and manually setting bitmap scale to 1:1 retains the image intensity as normal ...

DMerz III

Another bug I've found with both 7.0 and 7.1 on Windows 7 relating to UVMapping

If I need to shift the UV parameter, the slider will work but not precisely and accurately, so I like to type things in numerically. However, I've found typing any numerical value in the box does not work, it automatically sets the position back to square no matter what value is in the box. If I need the U to shift -10.45 it is impossible for me to get that using the slider and my best attempt with a steady hand. Typing in -10.45 will not work.

Thanks!

guest84672

You sent this to support I hope? If not, please do so. Thanks!

tomlai

Quote from: Søren on September 14, 2017, 03:52:40 AM
The UV mapping type works exactly the same in KS6 and KS7, it is just the default settings which are different (and yes, inconvenient).

The defaults will be improved in an update to KeyShot 7. In the meantime, set width and height to 1 (make sure to uncheck locked aspect ratio). Alternatively, if you are applying your texture to an explicitly unwrapped object, you can use the Tiled UV which works for a single UV tile as well.

Søren

Eew.... KS 7.2.109 still has the UV mapping default issue that I reported when a fresh bitmap is loaded. Wants to default to making the map a square rather than letting it be as it was earlier 1:1

Wasn't this to be addressed in KS 7.2 release?

tomlai

KS 7.3.37 Windows 10
When replacing a non-square UVW mapped texture, KS default forces the new texture to fit a square.
Only by clicking unlink and manually setting Scale to 1 do we get original UVW mapping.

I thought this was fixed in KS 7.2