Win 7 vs Win 10

Started by mattjgerard, September 11, 2017, 06:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Not looking to start a war in any way :) But, I am running Windows 7SP1, is there any benefit to upgrading to Windows 10? I've been a Mac user for 20+ years not purely personal choice, just happened to be what my employers had. I have Win 10 on my home workstation, and its fine, but is there any benefits to upgrading my work machine when it comes to Keyshot, file management , utilities, ease of use, that sort of thing. As a mac user, I've always been on the latest OS, as things stopped working if you got more than 2 major versions out of date, but I know Windows isn't quite that fragile.

Also I might just be looking for more reasons to bug the IT people. They get irritated so easily with my requests, its sort of my goal now to keep them on their toes:)

matt

Will Gibbons

At work I run a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro for hardware. Both machines have Windows 10 running on Parallels. At home, I've got a BOXX PC running Windows 10 and I have a Macbook Air as well. I fully appreciate what both hardware platforms and OS offer... so, I don't consider myself biased. I use both every day.

I would recommend being on Win 10 for the exact reason you offered. Windows 7 is more than 8 years old. A majority of updates the OS has seen affect security. It's also easier to find functional drivers for newer OS for both software and hardware peripherals. I won't claim Windows 10 to be perfect, but it's been reasonably stable for me. Without an abundance of examples of incentives to upgrade, I can say that I don't have any warnings against upgrading.