Pivot orthogonal to another part

Started by zooropa, September 13, 2017, 08:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zooropa

Hi. I am animating a screw sliding through a guide. I have imported the model from SW and then Rhino to KS.
I have the model prepared in KS. The problem that I am encountering is that when I move my 'part' the pivot is not 90 degrees (orthogonal) to my riel. I wanted to ask if there is any other way, aside the manual one, to make my pivot axis to be parallel to my guide.

Please find attached a sample in my screenshot.

Regards

Edit_1: I attached a new screenshot showing what I would like to correct. I am bringing this from Rhino. Maybe I need to tweak something there? ?  ?

Thanks a lot.

DriesV

This is rather a limitation of Rhino, which only uses a global origin.

Why are you transfering from SOLIDWORKS to Rhino? In SW, each part or assembly has its own local origin. When transfering SW data to KeyShot, these origins (and thus axis orientations) will be kept.

When working with Rhino models, you will have to import and position helper geometry to act as pivot points for orientations that deviate from the single global origin.

I hope that makes sense.

Dries

zooropa

Quote from: DriesV on September 13, 2017, 11:48:13 AM
This is rather a limitation of Rhino, which only uses a global origin.

Why are you transfering from SOLIDWORKS to Rhino? In SW, each part or assembly has its own local origin. When transfering SW data to KeyShot, these origins (and thus axis orientations) will be kept.

When working with Rhino models, you will have to import and position helper geometry to act as pivot points for orientations that deviate from the single global origin.

I hope that makes sense.

Dries

I need it to import it to rhino to move some stuff (I do not have SW). I will try to see how it comes from SW without going through Rhino.
I wish Rhino implement the same feature as SW . Thanks for the feedback.

guest84672

Slight correction. With KeyShot 7 Rhino models also have local origins for individual parts. This works for both, direct import as well as plugin.

zooropa

Quote from: thomasteger on September 13, 2017, 12:46:24 PM
Slight correction. With KeyShot 7 Rhino models also have local origins for individual parts. This works for both, direct import as well as plugin.

Do you know how can I get the same 'locator/gizmo' as rhino ? Since it changes from rhino to KS