Disappearing move gizmo

Started by mattjgerard, September 13, 2017, 12:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Any reason why the move gizmo in the live view would disappear as I zoom in to an object? Scene is in mm's, and not too small, but it seems that there is a "near camera cutoff" in effect and I can't get reasonably close to the objects to be able to place them accurately. As I zoom in the gizmo peels away in layers. See the images, they are in order of zooming into the touch button.

I can't find a setting that controls the near cutoff of the camera view. I know Cinema has a "feature" like this, but I can't find anything in KS.

Rex

Hey Matt,

If you set the object you are moving to be the camera target does it resolve the issue?

mattjgerard

mattjgerard

Here's a ksp challenge.

Try to place the touch button on the bracket. Catch is, you can't zoom in too far  ;D

Rex

Yes and also notice the selection outline and model in the geometry view disappears as you dolly in as well. We will investigate.

Thanks

DriesV

Hi Matt,

Is your Environment really large relative to your model by any chance?
Does it help if you make the Environment smaller?

I believe the Environment size is used to define the clipping planes.

Dries

Speedster

This has been a major irritant for me since the gizmo was first introduced.  If you zoom in close enough (with or without "look at") then the gizmo disappears.  If you zoom out enough to see the gizmo, you often cannot see the part you are trying to move!

I would like to be able to dock the gizmo somewhere independent of my look at point or zoom!

Bill G

Rex

Quote from: DriesV on September 13, 2017, 03:32:47 PM
Hi Matt,

Dries

Yep, that solves it for me!

mattjgerard

Quote from: DriesV on September 13, 2017, 03:32:47 PM
Hi Matt,

Dries

By Jove Watson, I think you've got it!

Brilliant!

martinwahlberg

This happens to me all the time. By environment size, do you mean ground size in KS7?
I have tried reducing the ground size but the gizmo is clipped when I zoom in anyway.
Any ideas on how to make it visible again?

mattjgerard

Its in  the Environment settings under Transform-> Size. Shrink it down and they will come back. I don't recall changing the size in my scene, or even deciding how big it was, but I will be now!

DriesV

martinwahlberg

mattjgerard

Quote from: DriesV on September 14, 2017, 01:12:43 PM
2 kilometers... Geesh! :o

Dries

I know! Not sure how it even got that way, but there it is. This was the setting when I was having problems. Took a couple Zeds off that, and everything is aces now.