Evaluating key shot for CNC production workflow

Started by bdgwesternmass, September 17, 2017, 08:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdgwesternmass

Hey All,

I just purchased a CNC that can use the dithering on 2-d images to create relief maps for milling with the CNC.

I have spent the past few days working with a simple shape and compound curves that was given to me an .stl file. I have tried many rendering tools to create a simple workflow that would take in .stl files and output .jpg, .png,... type image file with highly pronounced shadows to create the dithering I need.

Keyshot has been the easiest to use software so far which is great, but I'm now looking at getting the most dithering out of my lighting and rendering set-up. Does anyone have any guidance?

I read the HDRI and Lighting thread and it seems relevant but doesn't describe the process of maximizing the relief other then use lower lighting.

Finally I wonder I can get the contrast I need. I believe I need to keep the lighting straight on to create a symetical shape.

I uploaded the original .stl file.

Thanks,

Ben

Josh3D

Hey Ben, cool application. I'm familiar with ground relief maps, but wasn't sure what the goal was with this piece specifically. Is the attached close to what you're trying to get? You can use a low, small area light. Outside of this, you may want to apply an occlusion texture as a color map (see other attachment) and adjust to your needs. KeyShot .bip also attached.

bdgwesternmass

Hey Josh,

Thanks for the response I will look it up the terms small area light, and occlusion texture in the manual to try to get to the next step.

Quote from: Josh Mings on September 18, 2017, 09:01:42 AM
Hey Ben, cool application. I'm familiar with ground relief maps, but wasn't sure what the goal was with this piece specifically.

This piece I'm trying to get the highest contrast shadows with a straight on light source.
The shadows should be symmetrical so that if I cut in half vertically the halves would be mirror images.

Thanks for your help.

Ben

Quote from: Josh Mings on September 18, 2017, 09:01:42 AM
Is the attached close to what you're trying to get? You can use a low, small area light. Outside of this, you may want to apply an occlusion texture as a color map (see other attachment) and adjust to your needs. KeyShot .bip also attached.

Josh3D

Ok, yeah, have a look at the bip file - the light is hidden, but can be toggled on from the scene tree.