UV Cylindrical cup.

Started by zooropa, September 26, 2017, 11:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zooropa

Hi. I guess the best is to refer to the attachment first, they are quite self-explanatory.
I would like to uv map a wood 'ring' I modeled in Rhino. The ring was made in real life with wood and I would like to emulate the same effect where the grain follows the direction of the ring. I could not find any of the  UV modes within KS that achieve this effect.
I am guessing that I will not have any other option than UV map this surface. Unfortunately I am not sure Rhino for Mac is able to do this.

Thanks a lot.

DMerz III

:) oy, you've come across a problem plaguing most people who model w/ NURBs/CAD. NURBs models do not map UVs properly because during the meshing stage (when the program turns the surfaces from mathematical curves into a mesh it can use for rendering) there is no information translated that creates proper edge flow...thus...when you're polygonal modeling, you account for this and unwrap the UVs in your modeling program.

See this very long thread for way more reference;
https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=10828.0

Short answer; if you want to UV map something, you need UVs (nurbs doesn't have proper UVs when it becomes a mesh because computers cannot figure out that one edge continues onto another without you manually telling it to do so... Essentially, if you want to UV unwrap something, best to start the modeling with polygons instead of NURBs (Rhino). There are SOME ways around this, but no magic bullet. Look into the ZRemesher from ZBrush. I have had some minimal success there, but still takes a bit of cleanup.

If you want to get into polygonal modeling and unwrapping your UVs properly, I suggest Blender, it is free.

Disclaimer, I am by no means an expert. But I have come across this problem a lot, thus I've tried everything.

zooropa

Quote from: DMerz III on September 26, 2017, 12:01:13 PM
:) oy, you've come across a problem plaguing most people who model w/ NURBs/CAD. NURBs models do not map UVs properly because during the meshing stage (when the program turns the surfaces from mathematical curves into a mesh it can use for rendering) there is no information translated that creates proper edge flow...thus...when you're polygonal modeling, you account for this and unwrap the UVs in your modeling program.

See this very long thread for way more reference;
https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=10828.0

Short answer; if you want to UV map something, you need UVs (nurbs doesn't have proper UVs when it becomes a mesh because computers cannot figure out that one edge continues onto another without you manually telling it to do so... Essentially, if you want to UV unwrap something, best to start the modeling with polygons instead of NURBs (Rhino). There are SOME ways around this, but no magic bullet. Look into the ZRemesher from ZBrush. I have had some minimal success there, but still takes a bit of cleanup.

If you want to get into polygonal modeling and unwrapping your UVs properly, I suggest Blender, it is free.

Disclaimer, I am by no means an expert. But I have come across this problem a lot, thus I've tried everything.

Ok , I do believe is possible to UV in rhino...not sure. I use Modo so I can re do the ring in modo!
Thanks a lot

DMerz III

Quote from: zooropa on September 26, 2017, 02:06:35 PM
Ok , I do believe is possible to UV in rhino...not sure. I use Modo so I can re do the ring in modo!
Thanks a lot

I think Rhino does indeed have UV controls, however...at that point you are still in NURBs...once you turn that NURBs data into a mesh (needed for rendering) the UV data is lost. (The surfaces may still have UVs technically, but each 'surface' becomes its own UV map, there is no continuity). At least, that is my understanding of what's happening. Someone more experienced could clarify.

Thankfully, what you're creating is fairly simple to reproduce in polygonal modeling!

zooropa

Quote from: DMerz III on September 27, 2017, 12:18:18 PM
Quote from: zooropa on September 26, 2017, 02:06:35 PM
Thanks a lot

I think Rhino does indeed have UV controls, however...at that point you are still in NURBs...once you turn that NURBs data into a mesh (needed for rendering) the UV data is lost. (The surfaces may still have UVs technically, but each 'surface' becomes its own UV map, there is no continuity). At least, that is my understanding of what's happening. Someone more experienced could clarify.

Thankfully, what you're creating is fairly simple to reproduce in polygonal modeling!

Yes. I will go for that option. Thanks

NM-92

Eventually, we'll all struggle with this at some point. Best option so far ? As David said, have Blender (or Maya, or Max, or C4D, etc) as an alternative to reproduce this pieces. For simple geometry ? You'll spend less time learning to do it this way than trying to find a workaround with poor results (I've been that road before). Rhino has UV mapping support, but i've never achieved good results, so let me know if you get sth good! Good luck with your model, and be sure to post your results. Cheers man.

zooropa

Thanks to everyone.  I did it in Modo. I realized that it was quite to notice the texture for the result I wanted. So far is without the circular uv mapping. Apparently there is in Rhino a solution that some people helped me at Rhino forum.

Thanks so much

DMerz III

:) Glad to assist, if you don't mind, can you share your findings from the Rhino forum for the rest of us?

NM-92

Quote from: DMerz III on October 17, 2017, 11:27:13 AM
:) Glad to assist, if you don't mind, can you share your findings from the Rhino forum for the rest of us?

+1 on this. It'd be nice to read something related to this issue on Rhino.

zooropa

You can find some insights in this post I opened at Rh forum:

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/uv-cylinder-capped/47751/2

Hope it helps!!!