Floating geometry (turn off shadows and reflections)

Started by OccultMonk, September 30, 2017, 10:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OccultMonk

Is there a way to turn off cast shadows and reflections for floating geometry? I use a lot of 'floaters' for example for details like indented screws. This is "faked" geometry, so these objects should not cast shadows or be seen in reflections. I tried out the solutions in the thread below but  I have never got this working: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=13484.0

Examples:

HaroldL

I don't know about the shadows and reflections - just wanted to say I like your model. It reminds me of some of the stamped steel toy airplanes that were being made back in the 50's.

TGS808

Maybe I'm not sure what I'm looking for but I can't see the problem with any of the screws or rivets. Can you point it out?

The only thing that looks weird to me is all the icons and markings (S-702, the little skull icon, the caution sign, etc..) do have drop shadows and to appear to be floating above the surface. Are those individual pieces of geometry? If so, why not apply them to the model as labels?

OccultMonk

Quote from: TGS808 on October 01, 2017, 03:23:31 PM
Maybe I'm not sure what I'm looking for but I can't see the problem with any of the screws or rivets. Can you point it out?

The only thing that looks weird to me is all the icons and markings (S-702, the little skull icon, the caution sign, etc..) do have drop shadows and to appear to be floating above the surface. Are those individual pieces of geometry? If so, why not apply them to the model as labels?

Maybe this is not the clearest example or render. Look closely at the screws, they should not have shadows at all. They are ribbons under the paint layer. The screws on the white part should also not have shadows. They should look like they are indented into the white material. Almost none of the screws should cast shadows or cause reflections.

I just want to selectively turn off cast shadows/occlusion/reflection of certain objects or maybe materials onto the surfaces of other objects.

INNEO_MWo

If you enable the experimental features in KS7 (you"'ll find threads describing this) and use the new ray mask. This mask enables the option to turn off casting shadows.

Hope that works. Haven't tried it.
Cheers
Marco

DriesV

Quote from: MWo on October 03, 2017, 01:17:49 AM
If you enable the experimental features in KS7 (you"'ll find threads describing this) and use the new ray mask. This mask enables the option to turn off casting shadows.

Cheers
Marco

The Ray Mask node is experimental and is currently not supported.

Dries

TGS808

Quote from: OccultMonk on October 01, 2017, 11:04:25 PM

Look closely at the screws, they should not have shadows at all. They are ribbons under the paint layer. The screws on the white part should also not have shadows. They should look like they are indented into the white material. Almost none of the screws should cast shadows or cause reflections.

I just want to selectively turn off cast shadows/occlusion/reflection of certain objects or maybe materials onto the surfaces of other objects.

OK, I see it. The screws and rivets do appear to have shadows. Sadly I have no solution for you. The render as whole looks pretty good though.

OccultMonk

Quote from: DriesV on October 03, 2017, 02:26:08 AM
Quote from: MWo on October 03, 2017, 01:17:49 AM

Cheers
Marco

The Ray Mask node is experimental and is currently not supported.

Dries

Please implement this feature, it is super important for floating geometry. Other renderers support turning off shadows and reflections so floating geometry seems to be a part of the model. Modeling all screws as part of the mesh is just too much work and also not easily modifiable. This is a frequently used technique in modeling, so rendering without these objects casting shadows is a very important feature for Keyshot!