Lighting issue when tumbling/panning scene

Started by sean_designer, October 03, 2017, 07:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean_designer

Hi,

I've just installed Keyshot 7.1 onto my machine (Win10, Xeon 3.1GHz, 64GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro P4000)

I'm having an issue that i didn't have with Keyshot 6.  When Tumble or Pan the scene when any transparent materials are applied, the scene loses any of its shadow details, and brightness is intensified.  when i stop panning / tumbling, it goes back to normal.

Performance also appears to be slow compared to Keyshot 6 in general.

Any suggestions?

mattjgerard

Sometimes it seems that the scene goes into performance mode when navigating around, possibly to help the image update faster, then when you stop it kicks back into the regular render mode. I don't think its  a bug, but a performance enhancement that kicks in when needed and detirmined by the software.

Speed thing is subjective, as so much has changed under the hood, but in general I've found KS7 to actually be a bit faster. That statement is very dependant on the scene and settings, so make sure your settings are all the same as your old KS 6 settings, as some of the defaults in KS 7 have changed. Its nice that you can have KS6 and KS7 open at the same time to compare settings!

sean_designer

Default settings, nothing has been changed. 

I first thought it was jumping into performance mode.  But then remembered performance mode gets rid of any transparencies (keyshot 6 they appeared black, keyshot 7 appear white for some reason)  This isn't happening.  It's retaining its transparency but losing the shadows, Almost as if the brightness has been turned right up.

If it is jumping into performance mode, then why?  it never did on 6.  If it is an "enhancement"  It definitely doesn't feel like it.

The speed of the panning / tumbling is definitely slower in 7, I've still got 6 on my machine and compared them one after the other.  But that could be caused by the issue i'm having.  The Laptop I'm running it on is pretty powerful (8 core at 3.1GHz)

Eric Summers

I believe you are experiencing Adaptive Performance Mode. Take a look at the KeyShot 7 manual:

https://luxion.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/K7M/pages/45973619/Additional+Features

Sometimes it comes on and other times it won't in the same scene, it's all about the FPS of the scene. If you don't like it you do have the option to turn it off.

Hope that helps!

TGS808

Quote from: mattjgerard on October 03, 2017, 08:41:01 AM
Sometimes it seems that the scene goes into performance mode when navigating around, possibly to help the image update faster, then when you stop it kicks back into the regular render mode. I don't think its  a bug, but a performance enhancement that kicks in when needed and detirmined by the software.

This was my assessment as well.

TGS808

Quote from: esummers on October 03, 2017, 10:38:41 AM
I believe you are experiencing Adaptive Performance Mode. Take a look at the KeyShot 7 manual:

https://luxion.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/K7M/pages/45973619/Additional+Features

Sometimes it comes on and other times it won't in the same scene, it's all about the FPS of the scene. If you don't like it you do have the option to turn it off.

Hope that helps!

Now that is good to know. As I mentioned above I agreed with Matt that this was intentional and not a bug. What I didn't mention was that I wasn't sure how I felt about it. It seems harmless enough but it's nice to know we have the option to turn it off.

guest84672

Adaptive Performance Mode will be entered when FPS drops below 25.

sean_designer

Thanks for your help guys, its really good to know that it can be switched off.