Are material templates forward compatible?

Started by andy.engelkemier, October 05, 2017, 05:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I still haven't gotten approval to move forward to keyshot 7 because we haven't been using it very much for billable work lately. Makes sense.

BUT I'd like to keep doing things that will make light work of render tasks in the future. So I thought I'd come up with a naming convention that would work from SolidWorks, Rhino, Fusion, wherever, that we could import the model, run the template and all the materials are fairly closely applied to all our parts with the exception of a couple specialized parts of course.  And we may have to tweak a color here and there. I'm probably not going to make a material for teal plastic, so you might have to settle for green or blue as a starting point.

That's a fairly time consuming process to set all of that up though. I don't think I'll do it if we can't use it in keyshot 7. Because I know I'll Juuuuust get it tweaked and working just how we need it, then we'll get some work that will require a series of renderings at every stage of the design and we'll get KS7, and i'll have to do it again.

Has anyone imported a template and used in from KS6 to KS7?

guest84672

Yes, material templates are certainly forward compatible. Just make sure that the materials are in the KeyShot 7 library.