Label issues with Glass / Plastic - appearing on multiple surfaces

Started by ldichiara, October 11, 2017, 08:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldichiara

I have a keyshot scene setup with bottles assigned to glass or plastic and my label application is appearing on the outer and inside surface (doubling up) - I have played with several different material setups and labeling options - to now avail. I have no depth option to see if that would address the problem; It seems as though this might be a bit - does anyone have any insight into why this might be happening and/or how I might go about getting it corrected?

If you look at my screen shot - you'll see the problem and also note the depth option is at 0 - sliding this has no effect on the label.

Lenny

mattjgerard

Yeah, this has been posted before, I'm not sure if there is an actual solution to this, but the workaround is to separate the interior surface of the glass as a separate object and apply the same material with the label turned off to that interior surface. Not very elegant, but it works.

Will Gibbons

A couple things here: It's actually a reflection (which happens in real life). No, the depth slider doesn't work in this case. Try turning off Two-sided and see if that does it.

ldichiara

Hey Will - Sorry just responding to your post now as I'm doing some similar cap applications with graphics. The two sided toggle doesn't fix this when it is turned off. For now I'll have to go with the workaround off separating the interior layer and hopefully that will get the image to map just on the exterior face.
Im not sure if this is a reflection or if the label is mapping to both faces - I have physical samples of the cap I am replicating with graphics - and there are no reflections that are created in this manner. I do know from previous versions of Keyshot I've been able to do this type of logo application where this hasn't been reproduced in this manner but we are going back several versions at this point.

Lenny

Will Gibbons

Quote from: ldichiara on January 14, 2018, 06:34:20 AM
Hey Will - Sorry just responding to your post now as I'm doing some similar cap applications with graphics. The two sided toggle doesn't fix this when it is turned off. For now I'll have to go with the workaround off separating the interior layer and hopefully that will get the image to map just on the exterior face.
Im not sure if this is a reflection or if the label is mapping to both faces - I have physical samples of the cap I am replicating with graphics - and there are no reflections that are created in this manner. I do know from previous versions of Keyshot I've been able to do this type of logo application where this hasn't been reproduced in this manner but we are going back several versions at this point.

Lenny

I recently ran into this again. Another solution I've found is to use an Occlusion texture plugged into the Opacity socket of the Label Node. It does exactly what you want without separating surfaces. If you view the bottle from the other side though, you'll see it disappears. In that case, you need to check the 'inside' box of the Occlusion texture and it'll take care of it. Just know it's view dependent, so if you have an animation and the bottle rotates 360 degrees, at some point, the label will disappear. For stills though, it's a quick solution.

ms

Hi Will,

I am also having this issue, and the occlusion trick you mentioned doesn't seem to be working for me.

This is a real issue because I really like the new cloudy textures and overall improvements, but now I have to revert back to Keyshot 6 until this issue is fixed.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: ms on January 18, 2018, 01:12:42 PM
Hi Will,

I am also having this issue, and the occlusion trick you mentioned doesn't seem to be working for me.

This is a real issue because I really like the new cloudy textures and overall improvements, but now I have to revert back to Keyshot 6 until this issue is fixed.

I just did it and it seems to work. Attached are screen shots and the scene so you can see for yourself. It should be noted that this is dependent on the shape of the object or geometry. It will need thickness (meaning to be a solid, not surfaces)

ms

Will,

Thank you for your response. I was able to get it working, and I'm embarrassed to say that the issue was that I was in performance mode.  :-[

I'm ranked newbie for a reason.  :)

Will Gibbons

Quote from: ms on January 22, 2018, 08:58:33 AM
Will,

Thank you for your response. I was able to get it working, and I'm embarrassed to say that the issue was that I was in performance mode.  :-[

I'm ranked newbie for a reason.  :)

Haha! Good news is there maybe others who find this post helpful. Keep rendering and keep asking questions!