label border showing after .png conversion

Started by JasonM1972, October 11, 2017, 12:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonM1972

hi (first post)

I'm trying to apply a dent effect onto a surface using a label, which I created in photoshop. this was saved as a .png format with transparency, as you can see the border of the label is still visible when applied to the material surface. :(

what am I doing wrong?

Kind Regards

Jason

JasonM1972

Me Again  ;D

Still struggling with this feature, so please pretty please can someone tell me where I'm going wrong. The image I have attached is what I'm trying to recreate, which is on a length of pipe, however the damaged feature is only on the ends of the pipe. When I add the feature to the part it just looks like a label and you can still see the border of the label.

Kind Regards

J

mattjgerard

thats some gnarly damage, can you post up the png you are using as the map so others can play with it?

JasonM1972

DMerz III

Apologies, I'm having trouble trying to see what the problem is as described in your first post. I see a clear rectangular part which has some bump applied, not sure where the "edges" you're trying to remove are located.

You said you're trying to create a bump effect using a label, any reason you're doing this instead of just putting the texture in the bump channel?
What mapping mode are you using? Is this part UV unwrapped? If you're seeing edges, but would like the texture to tile (assuming it actually is seamless as you said in your second post, then you can turn on repeating.

Sorry if this isn't helpful, just trying to understand the problem first.

Thanks, best of luck.

David Merz

JasonM1972

Hi David

the images I sent is a worst case Scenario, usually these marks are located randomly around the surface of the pipe, similar to the first image. I came up with a work around using Autodesk inventor, where I recreated the tool that creates the marks on the surface and used a sculpting feature so the marks were visible when I imported the part into Keyshot. It looks okay but not really realistic compared to what you see on the previous images.

In my head I assumed that using a label would be the correct method, see as the damaged texture shouldn't be visible across the whole surface (hope that makes sense).

Kind Regards

Jason

DMerz III

:) yes that does help clarify. Indeed my suggestion of turning on repeat would not work if you only want these marks in certain areas. My suggestion would be to create a much larger map that encompasses the part with a lot of clear transparent space only having those marks in small patches as you wish. That way, the 'label' edge never touches your part because it is literally larger than the part itself. From there you can use the new planar mapping tool to place the label where you'd like.

The true solve for this would be to UV Unwrap and create a custom label based on your UVs, but I'm not sure if Autodesk Inventor has UV Mapping capabilities?

JasonM1972

HI David

I think a UV Map will not be of any use to me on this occasion as there is nothing to import from Inventor all the colours and textures were added in Keyshot.

I will work it out somehow, this isn't going to break me  ;D