Network/ shared material library

Started by Sam, March 31, 2010, 03:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

I'm struggling with a concept:

We set-up an environment to use the same material library with several users, this is located in a network shared folder.

We did this by adjusting the keyshot.xml.
We add a material or material group, and we save it. Another user refreshes his material library after these actions... this does not give him the new materials nor groups...

Is this normal behavior?

We have to restart keyshot to get the new materials or groups... what does the refresh materials function do then?

guest84672

Yes it is. Because KeyShot will only use the materials that are currently in session. Refresh materials will re-render the materials in session under the given lighting conditions.

aldesso

Quote from: Thomas Teger on March 31, 2010, 08:25:04 AM
Yes it is. Because KeyShot will only use the materials that are currently in session. Refresh materials will re-render the materials in session under the given lighting conditions.
For the sake of argument, lets say both of us are using Keyshot simultaneously on a shared Library and we both create new materials,
Does this mean that if I save the material library and close keyshot, the second user will overwrite my new materials if he saves his library or does the his saving of the library only add his new materials to the existing library?

More clearly:

Let say the shared library is set A, I create set B, save and close Keyshot ... the shared library is now A+B

Meanwhile, user2 still only has access to set A and creates set C. user2 saves local library ...

Will the resulting Library now be A+B+C or will it overwrite my changes and only be A+C ?

Regards,
Marc

guest84672

It will be a + b + c since every tab is a separate .bip file.

Sam

and to be clear: if you make changes in the same tab?

guest84672