Scout Crab

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, October 22, 2017, 12:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Hello everyone,

First of all, it's quite the jaw dropping some of the entries here, and it's gonna be a tough contest. I don't know how my chances fits in all of the wonderful work that's put into some of the renders, but I though I'd give it a shot. I didn't really have much time to get it done, and I started a bit ambitiously by wanting to model something myself.

Background
For some time ago, Siemens launched convergent modeling with NX, allowing us NURBS-modelers to finally start working with STL and scanned geometry. This has recently been developed into a polygon modeling toolset, which for the moment allows simple changes to be made to polygon models, which i find amazing. At the time of lauch, I wanted to use a scanned crab geometry (I believe it was from threedscans.com, but I get a warning when I try to enter it now) and modify it to show of the NX capabilities, but my boss found it a bit too scifi, which I honestly have to agree on. But, when this contest showed up, i went back to the model and started working on the inital vision which may went a bit overboard, but that's up to you guys to decide.

Geometry
The crab -  threedscans.com,
The claw gripper from GrabCAD - https://grabcad.com/library/5-jaw-robotic-gripper-1
The surroundings was an older scanned model I had lying around from an earlier customer, bought from turbosquid.com.

The equipment on the crab was designed and modeled by myself in NX (except for the claw)

Lighting
HDRI from Greg Zaal - https://hdrihaven.com/
Ajusted with a couple of blended pins.

KS7 Materials
Cloudy plastics on the prosthetic arm and on the tubes carrying fluids. (matgraph added)
Measured metals on the eye and the prosthetic frame.

Post processing involves color adjustments and removal of some seams on the ground. Also some slight noise, flares, glows and a few passes (depth, AO, shadow, reflection, light, clown).

Anyway, I wish I had some more time, but this time it was a bit short. I'm gonna have to revisit this one in the future for some detail shots though. Hope you like it, and good luck to all contestants.

DriesV

Overboard? Yes.
Awesome? YES!

This image needs laser beams and mortar explosions...

Dries

Pouya Hosseinzadeh

It's so cool...Really Nice work!

leo de brito

I love the concept! So cool! Congrats!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: DriesV on October 22, 2017, 12:56:41 PM
Overboard? Yes.
Awesome? YES!

This image needs laser beams and mortar explosions...

Hah! Thanks a bunch dries. I considered playing with a laser actually, but time didn't allow for more experimentation:)

Quote from: PouyaHosseinzadeh on October 22, 2017, 01:01:02 PM
It's so cool...Really Nice work!
Cheers man! Appreciate it :)

Quote from: leo de brito on October 22, 2017, 01:26:59 PM
I love the concept! So cool! Congrats!
Thank you man! Much obliged!

NM-92

Ha ! It's good to see this one finished. I really like the model, specially that prosthetic arm.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: NM-92 on October 22, 2017, 07:38:34 PM
Ha ! It's good to see this one finished. I really like the model, specially that prosthetic arm.
Cheers Nico! I'm glad you do :)

cjwidd

I love this piece, excellent work +1