Scout Crab - Reloaded

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, October 25, 2017, 02:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Hello everyone,

So I had to rush a participation in the KeyShot contest, but I wasn't completely satisifed with the outcome. With a bit more time on my hand I made a second, more in-action close up which I am a bit more satisfied with.

The model base is a scanned model from threedscans.com, and the equipment on the crab is modeled in NX. A bit of post-processing utilizing various automatic generated passes. If you want more background story you can check out this thread: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=20163.0

Hope you like it.

NM-92

Definitely an improvement. The liquid in those hoses looks fantastic.

DMerz III

Looks fantastic! Great improvements, and I +1 that comment about the liquid in the hoses, so cool.

As for the contest entry, I'm sure we all would have benefited from some more time  ;)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Thanks to the both of you, guys!

Quote from: DMerz III on October 25, 2017, 01:58:06 PM
As for the contest entry, I'm sure we all would have benefited from some more time  ;)
Yes yes, I agree, I wouldn't find it fair either. The irony wasn't strong enough for the sentence there:)

Will Gibbons

I think you nailed it this time. I love how you keep working till you get a good result! Definitely a good piece for the portfolio.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 26, 2017, 12:53:11 AM
I think you nailed it this time. I love how you keep working till you get a good result! Definitely a good piece for the portfolio.
Thanks a bunch Will! It would have just annoyed me to leave it like it was. Unfinished business tends to creep under the skin until it's dealt with.

Will Gibbons

Unfinished business tends to creep under the skin until it's dealt with.
[/quote]

This is a badass quote.

Eric Summers

Oh man, this is really impressive! Every time I look at it another detail jumps out at me. I'd love to see more like this.

JonWelch

"Unfinished business tends to creep under the skin until it's dealt with." - I couldn't begin tell you how often this applies to me, and probably all of us. I will literally lose sleep over the frustration that a render doesn't quite look the way I want.

This concept/render is wicked cool, and the textures/materials look so good.

Magnus Skogsfjord

This is a badass quote.
Hah, as badass as us visualizers can get I guess;)

Quote from: Eric Summers on October 26, 2017, 08:19:10 AM
Oh man, this is really impressive! Every time I look at it another detail jumps out at me. I'd love to see more like this.
Thanks a bunch Eric! Really appreciate that:) It was really fun to work on too. Hoping to get more time to do similar projects.

Quote from: JonWelch on October 26, 2017, 08:22:20 AM
"Unfinished business tends to creep under the skin until it's dealt with." - I couldn't begin tell you how often this applies to me, and probably all of us. I will literally lose sleep over the frustration that a render doesn't quite look the way I want.

This concept/render is wicked cool, and the textures/materials look so good.
Precisely. The struggle is real. It can gnaw the brain until it's out of the way, but it is oh so relieving when it suddenly clicks into place! Thanks for your nice words. Really appreciate that!

cjwidd

This is outrageously cool. What is creating the surface detail of the front green part - it looks like scales? Is it texture or modeled?

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: cjwidd on October 27, 2017, 03:14:35 PM
This is outrageously cool. What is creating the surface detail of the front green part - it looks like scales? Is it texture or modeled?
Thanks a bunch man! I'll provide you a breakdown of the material graph tomorrow if you're interested :) But as a small little spoiler alert, it is two bump (normals) maps working together on that part. 

cjwidd

Magnus Skogsfjord

Alright, I'm attaching a few screenshots here. The first one is the entire material graph, which may look overwhelming and messy, but it's really not as complicated as the first glance. For sake of the breakdown, I've stripped it down to its essentials in a second attachment, so I'm gonna try to explain it using it as a basis.

The base material is a grungy looking metal material, but we actually don't see much of this material, other than in the positive curvature parts of the geometry. The material that we see the most of is the green bumpy material.

So, taking the paint material into account (attachment 2), I've added a curvature material in the paints opacity channel. The effect of this can be seen on the simplified example (attachment 3), where I've isolated the curvature effect (shortcut C on the node), and I've added a B&W image into the positive curvature channel. This means that the black areas here are will be transparent, thus revealing the metal material beneath (attachment 4).

Back to attachment 2: Taking the "scaly" appearance (which is maybe what you were really asking about) into account, this consists of a two added bump maps; a uniform patterned honeycomb normal map and a simple black and white grungy bump added together using a bump add node.

I'm realizing as I'm writing now that I may go overboard with what you were really asking for, but don't hesitate to ask if something is unclear from my perhaps non-pedagogic attempt :)

cjwidd

Nah, that was just the right amount of board, thank you so much! I honestly never realized you could pass a texture into the curvature channels of the curvature node - *facepalm*. I like the scales a lot, I think that honeycomb pattern is really helping to drive the effect.