Expanded Custom Hotkey List

Started by monson67, October 26, 2017, 08:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monson67

I was (am) thrilled that you guys added customizable hotkeys to KeyShot7. Being an everyday-Adobe-user for over 15 years does that to you. So before I say anything else, thank you for adding this feature.

I have a strong feeling my KeyShot workflow is quite different than the average KeyShooter. It's rare for me to model a 3D object from scratch, and then render it in KeyShot. I often work on models from other sources such as TurboSquid or from a client, and then make necessary changes for what I need to accomplish in Rhino 3D or directly in KeyShot. That being said, I found it odd that only a portion of KeyShot's menu items can be set with custom Hotkeys. There are a few, like Edit Geometry or Export to OBJ, that I would really like added to the list. But really, it would be nice if most, if not all, menu items could be customized.

mattjgerard

Same same same.

I agree and am in the same boat. I rarely have the time to model stuff, so grabcad and TS have been my saviors. Angels, all of them at grabcad and other cad library sites.

And I agree on the shortcuts. Again, my gold standard is C4D, thier interface and customizations is next to perfection, so I'm always comparing, which isn't fair, but hey :)

monson67

Another one that isn't a menu item, but would be nice to set a hotkey for is Link Materials.

Will Gibbons

Thanks for the request. It's not the first time we've heard it, so I'm sure we'll be able to expand upon the list of current options.

Quote from: monson67 on October 26, 2017, 09:55:06 AM
Another one that isn't a menu item, but would be nice to set a hotkey for is Link Materials.

As far as this one goes... are you currently aware you can Shift + LMB to 'copy' a material, then Shift + RMB to paste that same material linked to another. This effectively does the same as linking textures. If there's a need for a different way to link materials, please explain so we can consider that.

Cheers!

monson67

Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 27, 2017, 12:58:34 AMAs far as this one goes... are you currently aware you can Shift + LMB to 'copy' a material, then Shift + RMB to paste that same material linked to another.

I'm aware. I guess it's just a matter of workflow.

After many years of being devoted to organizing my work through the Layers palette of Photoshop, it carried over to when I started learning KeyShot. So once I have all the parts of my model/s named, grouped and organized in the Scene window/tab, I'll assign and link materials by selecting the part or group names from that list. I find it easier to identify and select the parts this way than to tumble, pan and dolly all around the model, especially when some parts can be layered behind other (transparent) parts or particularly small or thin in comparison to other parts, where clicking on the part can be finicky.

If you don't get many people asking for adding Link Materials to the Hotkey list, I understand if it would be pain to implement, given that it's not currently a menu item. I can continue using the Link Materials button in the Properties tab of the Scene window, assuming 7.2 is released in the nearish future so I don't have to deal with that bug anymore.  ;)

mattjgerard

Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 27, 2017, 12:58:34 AM
Thanks for the request. It's not the first time we've heard it, so I'm sure we'll be able to expand upon the list of current options.

Quote from: monson67 on October 26, 2017, 09:55:06 AM

As far as this one goes... are you currently aware you can Shift + LMB to 'copy' a material, then Shift + RMB to paste that same material linked to another. This effectively does the same as linking textures. If there's a need for a different way to link materials, please explain so we can consider that.

Cheers!

Being able to do this in the scene tree would be awesome.

Hint hint nudge nudge wink wink :)

monson67

Will Gibbons

Quote from: monson67 on October 27, 2017, 07:14:32 AM

After many years of being devoted to organizing my work through the Layers palette of Photoshop, it carried over to when I started learning KeyShot. So once I have all the parts of my model/s named, grouped and organized in the Scene window/tab, I'll assign and link materials by selecting the part or group names from that list. I find it easier to identify and select the parts this way than to tumble, pan and dolly all around the model, especially when some parts can be layered behind other (transparent) parts or particularly small or thin in comparison to other parts, where clicking on the part can be finicky.

Fair enough. I may be wrong here, but I don't think many CAD users working in a production environment with assembly structure using a PDM have quite as much flexibility in organizing their scene tree as you do. I can see where this would be nice though.