wire frame to rendering blend

Started by Moog, November 02, 2017, 06:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

If you are going for that exact 'quad-look', you have to import the model with planar quads, unsmooth normals and then apply a toon material with a low contour angle. See reply #6 in this thread: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=12526.msg61037;topicseen#msg61037

Moog

Thanks for the information.  That said I am really just looking to see if someone knows how to render a wireframe to full on realistic image that blends from wireframe to rendering similar to what is shown in the image.

mattjgerard

2 renders+photoshop.

you could do this effect 100% inside of keyshot, but that would take away quite a bit of flexibility in revising the look later on. I was thinking also if there is a way to use a square pattern texture without mapping to the underlying geometry, but there would have to be some pretty slick UV work prep to make that happen.

TGS808

Matt is right. The easiest (and probably best) way to do this would be to render the wireframe shot and the photo real shot as two separate images then, use a mask with some soft gradients and/or soft brushes in Photoshop to blend the two together, revealing and hiding parts of the two images as you see fit.

Moog

Thanks for the advice.  I have done this using Photoshop in the past by overlaying a wire frame or tune rendering with the realistic and then blending via layers but was curious how this could be done in KeyShot.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Moog on November 02, 2017, 12:22:14 PM
Thanks for the advice.  I have done this using Photoshop in the past by overlaying a wire frame or tune rendering with the realistic and then blending via layers but was curious how this could be done in KeyShot.

In KeyShot you would do it by layering a wireframe material on top of the paint material and i.e. use a gradient texture in the opacity channel to mask out parts of the wire frame material.
Unfortunately, for some reason, it seems like that the KeyShot wire frame material can't be connected to anything in the graph. Can someone confirm/disprove that?

You can still do it with the toon material trick though, but then the faceted surface becomes really visible in the painted part. See attached.