Tweak clown pass colors

Started by mattjgerard, November 16, 2017, 06:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Is there any way to tweak the clown pass colors? It appears that they are quite random, but lately I've been having this happen a lot. The purple segments in the middle should have 2 different colors in the clown pass, and in fact they do, but just barely. The wand tool in PS has to be set to a tolerance of 2 to get the correct shape selected, and while I'm fighting some bad anti-aliasing already, the low tolerance  level makes it all the much worse. The other clown pass colors allow for a higher  tolerance levels and create a smoother selection.

Is there a way to "trick" it into creating a different color?

TGS808

Are each of the segments represented by the slightly different purples individual pieces of geometry? If so, why not set them to be individual render layers? You'll be able to select them in PS with a single click and the anti-aliasing will be flawless. You won't even need the wand tool.

mattjgerard

That's a great idea, yeah they are each separate. Dang, one of those "duh" moments. Off to try it now!

TGS808

If they are exactly adjacent to one another you may have to render more than once, as if you click two adjacent parts to make them render layers they will be attached to each other as a single layer and then you're back at square one. So, it may take more than one render to get it it all separated but (in my opinion) it's still better than the clown pass and the wand tool.