Rendering sharp shadows

Started by archerboy2017, November 21, 2017, 09:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archerboy2017

Hi - newbie Zbrush to Keyshot 5 user here. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong but would appreciate some help in understanding how to create sharply focussed shadows cast by objects in a scene. I have tried looking everywhere but cannot seem to find anything that specifically deals with this issue. Any help or pointers appreciated.
Thanks Archery

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: archerboy2017 on November 21, 2017, 09:24:01 AM
Hi - newbie Zbrush to Keyshot 5 user here. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong but would appreciate some help in understanding how to create sharply focussed shadows cast by objects in a scene. I have tried looking everywhere but cannot seem to find anything that specifically deals with this issue. Any help or pointers appreciated.
Thanks Archery

Hi Archery.
If you want an object to cast sharp shadows you need to make sure that your object is relatively small. The bigger the light source is, the softer the shadow will be. Alternatively you can use a point light material to create an infinite tiny small point that shoots light out in all directions. You can also create a sharp shadow using a tiny pin in the HDRI. See this tutorial on how to do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHaEfQ7_BnA

Can you be more specific about the intended use of your light source? Would love to be more specific. Hope it helps you a bit anyways.
Cheers,

archerboy2017

Hi Esben - thanks for that..thats exactly the effect I want..I have looked at the tutorial but maybe Zbrush to Keyshot5 is missing the HDRI editor?
I can't follow that at all, unless I'm missing something really obvious! Point Light Material? where do I find that...thanks....confused..

TGS808

Are you using the Pro version of KeyShot? The HDRI editor is a feature that is only available in the Pro version.

The point light material should be in the "Lights" section of your materials library along with the emissive and area lights (assuming v5 is the same as v6 and v7).