Spongebob's PINEAPPLE

Started by Benny L, November 26, 2017, 10:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny L

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving with their family.
So I had this idea for a while now and finally got around executing it.  Like most renders I did, I try to put my take on it rather than being literally an imitation of the concept it's based on. 

The idea is simply what Spongbob's house would look like in real world (modeled the pieces myself; BTS vid on my Instagram soon)
Not sure why, but I kind of like it by the beach rather than under the water; like I said, it's my take on it haha.  Oh I also included Spongbob's BFF in the background :)

Enjoy, and PLEASE share your opinion/feedback/critiques as long as it's constructive. I think it's not 100% there yet and missing some finishing touch, so I'm relying on this community to help me drive it home! :)

Will Gibbons

Dope! Five-stars on creativity. You modeled the pineapple too, or just the add-on parts?

Suggestions:
I'd push for a more dynamic/interesting composition and bring us closer to enjoy the details. Also, it looks too clean IMO. The metals especially seem a bit too polished. Consider sand blowing, sea breeze, salty air... maybe place it in a location that looks like it would last a while. Here, the high tide would take it down, or beachgoers. I'd try to find something a bit off the beaten path... maybe under a boardwalk, up against a barnacle-encrusted dock?

I dig the originality. 

Benny L

Quote from: Will Gibbons on November 27, 2017, 08:11:16 AM
Dope! Five-stars on creativity. You modeled the pineapple too, or just the add-on parts?

Suggestions:
I'd push for a more dynamic/interesting composition and bring us closer to enjoy the details. Also, it looks too clean IMO. The metals especially seem a bit too polished. Consider sand blowing, sea breeze, salty air... maybe place it in a location that looks like it would last a while. Here, the high tide would take it down, or beachgoers. I'd try to find something a bit off the beaten path... maybe under a boardwalk, up against a barnacle-encrusted dock?

I dig the originality.

Thanks Will, I took a pineapple model and modified it (skin and small pieces to fit the add-ons), I modeled the rest(Pipe, door, windows, and the beach settings) I will show a BTS vid later on my instagram :)

Totally agree on making it more practical; my initial thought was it's bit too unrealistic but can't pin point what it was.  I'll have to add some wear and tear on next iteration. I kinda like the beach setting (something about that water front attracts me haha)  but it makes sense that beachgoers and high tide could be problematic, so let me see what I can come up with. (Maybe I'll add a slight higher ground on where the pineapple sits) Thanks for the input!

Josh3D

Yeah, agree with Will. This is cool. Bet it was loads of fun! I think the smoothness of the sand is working for the shot. May want to try some more grainy sand? May work along Will's idea of off the beaten path. This is clean and refreshing though... like an ice-cold bottle of Coca-Cola :)

Benny L

Quote from: Josh Mings on November 29, 2017, 09:41:49 AM
Yeah, agree with Will. This is cool. Bet it was loads of fun! I think the smoothness of the sand is working for the shot. May want to try some more grainy sand? May work along Will's idea of off the beaten path. This is clean and refreshing though... like an ice-cold bottle of Coca-Cola :)

Haha I definitely had a bottle of refreshing Coke zero while working on this.  I went back and tried another approach on the location. Spongebob's new home is relocated along with his buddy :)  Took some time to add some wear and tear on it too.

Quote from: Will Gibbons on November 27, 2017, 08:11:16 AM
Suggestions:

Looked around for reference images and I liked the higher and isolated area similar to a cliff; I like the idea of looking kinda worn given the salt in the air by the beach and maybe a bit beaten up, so I took some time giving those details to the pineapple. Here's another attempt to share with you guys

mattjgerard

This is all really cool, I love the concept, I deal with shiny hard edged products every day, getting something organic like this is really refreshing, but isn't the line "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?"

Time for some underwater stuff!~!!

Benny L

Quote from: mattjgerard on November 30, 2017, 05:20:40 AM
This is all really cool, I love the concept, I deal with shiny hard edged products every day, getting something organic like this is really refreshing, but isn't the line "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?"

Time for some underwater stuff!~!!

Aye, this be Spongbob's retirement home after his life under the sea
Nah it's just my take on the his house in alternate reality, thanks!

Will Gibbons

Dope! Also, love the scene-setup screenshot! More processes... I think those are great for new visitors to learn from. Well-done Benny!

Josh3D

Indeed, love the setup shot too! And the new retirement home location!

mattjgerard

Quote from: Benny Lee on November 30, 2017, 06:37:36 AM
Aye, this be Spongbob's retirement home after his life under the sea
Nah it's just my take on the his house in alternate reality, thanks!

Brilliant!

Benny L

Quote from: Will Gibbons on November 30, 2017, 07:56:33 AM
Dope! Also, love the scene-setup screenshot! More processes... I think those are great for new visitors to learn from. Well-done Benny!

Aye, more processes it is..

So I like to build my scenes with either my pre-existing 3D assets from my previous projects to to save time, but I model as much as I can.  If they take too long, I'll probably source it on free sites like GrabCad.

In this case, I modified a pre-existing Pineapple model and modeled all the metal pieces(Smoke pipe, door and windows) myself and most of the landscapes.  Some textures from Poliigon and my own library.  I like to keep it simple and only model what is going to be within the frame.

I've attached some geometric views to give you guys an idea of the scene setup along with some closeups and another FINAL refined image (Second to last image)

NOTE:
I'm putting together a quick making of/modeling video and put it on my Instagram later (Editing all the screen recording vids tonight), so feel free to check it out later for full video @BennyLeeDesign   (or click here if you're lazy haha www.instagram.com/BennyLeeDesign)

mattjgerard

that second to last one is purely fantastic. man that's nice. the DOF really sells it.

Benny L

Quote from: mattjgerard on December 01, 2017, 05:31:02 AM
that second to last one is purely fantastic. man that's nice. the DOF really sells it.

Thanks! That would be my hero shot of this series so I hope that one shines the most haha   :P

Magnus Skogsfjord

Hah, everyone looks really nice, but  an extra +1 to the hero shot! Looks really great!