How to Copy/Paste a single Label onto multiple objects...in the same position?

Started by mat10x, November 28, 2017, 12:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat10x

Hi guys,

I'm trying to put one label onto 4 cylinders in my Keyshot model.  Label would be in the same location on each cylinder.  Cylinders are in the 12/3/6/9 o'clock positions.  Label is to be facing the outer perimeter of the 4 cylinders. 

I can get a label on one cylinder no problem...but can't copy/paste it onto the others.  If I "link material" i can drag the single label from one cylinder to the other...but not as one label per cylinder.  If I "copy linked material" with from the cylinder layer with the label and try to "paste linked material" to another cylinder layer...nothing shows up.

I've tried the 4 cylinders as 4 separate layers/objects in my scene tree, and also within the same layer.  Can't see to copy/paste multiple instances at all.

I imagine there's a way to do this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx!

Will Gibbons

If using KeyShot 7, use Center on Part mode. It'll do exactly what you want it to.

You can find that in the texture mapping properties, or when using the move widget to move the texture.

mat10x

Hi Will,

Yes, using KS 7.1.51 Pro.

Tried the Center On > Part mode before, and just tried it again...what happens is that the label places itself on every surface of the part (chamfered edges, recesses, etc)....and on every surface of all 4 cylinders, on all surfaces that make up each cylinder.  Looks like graffiti everywhere on the part.  The label even repeats around the cylinder.

The cylinder layer is made up of 2 parts...cylinder and base.

Scene tree layer one is "cylinders", all 4 on one layer...subgroup if you click on the + symbol on the left then shows 8 sub layers below...4 base part layers, and 4 cylinder layers.

Any ideas?

Thx!

INNEO_MWo

I am not really sure that I understood this issue right. You'll find several posts with different solutions here.
Maybe a little example scene would help? Can you post one?

Cheers
Marco

DriesV

Could you share your scene/model? Are you by any chance working with Rhino models?

Dries

mat10x

Hi guys,

Attached is a test run jpeg of what's going on, with scene tree. 

Yes using Rhino v5.3.2 and Moi v3.2.  Keyshot 7.1.51.

I found a solution, from a previous post, using an array "pattern" which does allow me to put one logo on all 4 objects, in the same position.  It works, but seems to be more work making a separate pattern file then having to reimport it into Keyshot, rather than a copy/paste method in the same file. 

Object 1 - Label "on model".  Mapping type: Cylinder. 
Object 2 - Label "on part".  Mapping type: Cylinder
Object 3&4 - Single layer.  "on model"...Label shared across both objects, no good. 

Object 3 shows the top cylinder shape and the base shape, 2 part model as in the scene tree layers.

In 3&4, noticed the label seems to be cut off by a hidden seam in the model.

Thanks guys!

MMatias

Similar question here. I have a geometry where I want to show different pattern design options. I'm applying the different patterns as labels. Is there a way to save the label properties in order to later apply different patterns and not have to manually adjust them again?

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: MMatias on November 30, 2017, 11:23:23 AM
Similar question here. I have a geometry where I want to show different pattern design options. I'm applying the different patterns as labels. Is there a way to save the label properties in order to later apply different patterns and not have to manually adjust them again?

I would not use different labels to different designs. That is clearly a job for multi material (if you use KeyShot 7 and a pro license)

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

mat10x

Went back and tried to use "make pattern" to get one label on all 4 cylinders.  Works great in it's own bip file. 

When I try to take the pattern array bip file and "add to scene" to the bip file that contains the rest of model...the 4 cylinders are in a larger radius pattern than the original 3d file, out of place...and the labels have disappeared on the 3 duplicate cylinders from the pattern array.

It seems quite difficult to simply copy/paste multiple instances of a label on objects.  At a loss here.  I guess I'll just have to place them manually on each cylinder.

guest83783

Hi guys,

I'm having a similar issue.  I can't quite find the right information to apply the same texture/label to a group of components.

I have a plastic pouch which has a knurled edge around the top and bottom.  I've modeled it in T-Splines with Rhino to get the flowing organic shape and I've split the model to apply the different bump maps to different parts of the model.  (I'm not savvy enough to texture map these things as a skin to reapply over a single surface).

Where I have the main body, split edges with a knurled bump map and a zip-lock seal at the top which is smooth - I need to paste a single graphic over the whole thing.  Ideally I'd like to be able to select everything and overlay the graphic over so I can quickly repeat it but I think I'd have to split it each time to add the bump maps?

I had hoped to find a tutorial that would show me how to use the .psd layer exports in V7 to do this.  So basically I could render the pouch as a smooth body with a graphic on it and then use the previous rendered layers with bump map or normal maps to enable me to quickly edit it in Photoshop.

Sorry I can't upload an image do you client confidentiality.

Thanks for any pointers in advance!

Andy