Importing from Rhino, problem with pivot.

Started by zooropa, December 05, 2017, 10:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zooropa

This happened to me before. This time I can not solve it and I am clueless.

I am trying to generate a simple rotational animation. You can check the movie.
The pivots are not responding to the orientation of my models in Rhino. I want to clarify this model was built carefuly
in order to have the isocurves aligned to the rotation. So the surfaces were built 'correctly'.
I try also building cylinders in rhino where my pivot should be in KS. Again the cylinders are also modeled taking in count the rotation.
You can also check the image that shows...KS does not  take in count the model position.

Do anyone solved this coming from Rhino ?
Thanks a lot

Öner

hello, rotation is a drudgery on keyshot. maybe you can fix it if you use a cylinder model as a pivot direction in which you want to roll the parts or try that as s sphere.

zooropa

Quote from: Öner on December 05, 2017, 08:28:02 PM
hello, rotation is a drudgery on keyshot. maybe you can fix it if you use a cylinder model as a pivot direction in which you want to roll the parts or try that as s sphere.

This is what I am showing in the post above you....  ??? Those cylinders are not my model, but my 'auxiliar' guide...for my model...the pivot still is not respecting the orientation.

Öner

Did you try to change the layer's position on the scene in KS?  also, maybe you can upload your scene.

zooropa

Quote from: Öner on December 05, 2017, 10:26:22 PM
Did you try to change the layer's position on the scene in KS?  also, maybe you can upload your scene.

Here you can find it, thanks ;)

DriesV

This happens because Rhino does not have true local origins for individual regular objects.
This means that when Rhino models are imported in KeyShot, there is only the global origin from the Rhino model. Objects don't have individual orientations. Instead each object's orientation is identical to the orientation of the global origin.

However, if you turn your objects into Blocks, then each Block instance will have a local origin.
See attached sample Rhino models. Import them into KeyShot and notice how the orientation of the parts with the Move Tool is different between the two models.

I hope this makes sense.

Dries

zooropa

Quote from: DriesV on December 06, 2017, 01:45:53 AM
This happens because Rhino does not have true local origins for individual regular objects.
This means that when Rhino models are imported in KeyShot, there is only the global origin from the Rhino model. Objects don't have individual orientations. Instead each object's orientation is identical to the orientation of the global origin.

However, if you turn your objects into Blocks, then each Block instance will have a local origin.
See attached sample Rhino models. Import them into KeyShot and notice how the orientation of the parts with the Move Tool is different between the two models.

I hope this makes sense.

Dries

Dries, makes sense. thanks. I converted to blocks my models and decided to put the 'origin' of the block in the center....
unfortunately...the locator is there..but not oriented as I want...Not in rhino nor in KS.

Do you know if there is any way to locate the origin point giving more than one point of reference ?

DriesV

I believe blocks take the orientation of the object(s), that they are created from, relative to the Rhino world origin.
So I guess you will have to put the object in the correct orientation in the origin, then convert it to a block and finally duplicate/pattern/instance the block.

Dries

zooropa

Quote from: DriesV on December 06, 2017, 11:38:52 AM
I believe blocks take the orientation of the object(s), that they are created from, relative to the Rhino world origin.
So I guess you will have to put the object in the correct orientation in the origin, then convert it to a block and finally duplicate/pattern/instance the block.

Dries

The object was created in that orientation. I am not sure if I am understanding. This is not a rotated object. This is created in that position from 0.

DriesV

Quote from: zooropa on December 06, 2017, 01:49:35 PM
The object was created in that orientation.

This is exactly the issue. When you convert an object to a block, the block adopts the Rhino world orientation.
You would have to make sure the object is correctly aligned to the world axes, before creating the block.

Blocks are, as far as I know, the only way to get objects with local origins/orientation out of Rhino.
This is a limitation of all direct modelers that have just a single global origin. MCAD software with parts/assemblies as distinct standalone models/files are much better at handling part-level orientations.

Dries

zooropa

Got it! So I need to orient manually the 'world orientated' model into all the rotated ones that I have...
Lot of works. Tested and I think works.
Thanks a lot!

DriesV

Correct.
Can't you pattern the Blocks just like you patterned the original objects?

Dries

zooropa

Sorry false alarm, is not working either.

DriesV

Sure, send as PM or directly to <dries-at-luxion-dot-com>.

Dries

zooropa