Uv mapping nurbs file

Started by zooropa, December 14, 2017, 03:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zooropa

Hi, I am trying to avoid going to a polygon modeler to uv this. Its a pain in the...

I modeled several ways, even through Rhino and Moi, the truth is that the translation to obj needs some tweaking that takes lot lot of time.

I was wondering maybe I could stop trying different ways of translating it (I just want the UV)...and use the models I have in nurbs.
The problem is I do not have rhino for mac. I can not UV map it as I want ...I think

Maybe a cube map in KS will do the job. You can see the attachment. I would like to have the wood grain (this is supposed to be cnc) to follow the strips direction.

Do you think I can avoid to translate it to MODO for ex, and find a way to solve it with the models I have ?

Thanks so much

Will Gibbons

Have you tried using the 3D Wood Procedural texture in KeyShot? If I'm not mistaken, it should allow you to get a similar result with no UV mapping.

zooropa

zooropa

Quote from: Will Gibbons on December 18, 2017, 08:10:03 AM
Have you tried using the 3D Wood Procedural texture in KeyShot? If I'm not mistaken, it should allow you to get a similar result with no UV mapping.

First I tried with the UV options...mmm I think I will not be succeed  with these technique unless I uv map the geometry in some software.

I also tried the Wood procedural ( I hope this is what you meant with 3D wood). I could not manage to tweak it to get going a long the grooves. It is true that manages the whole piece without seems, kind ofl like a tri plannar...but there is not parameter to choose direction or not have a radial wood...At least I could not find it. I will try to search a tutorial for native-ks wood procedural.

Esben Oxholm

Hi Zooropa.

For the test above - did you try and move/rotate the wood texture? It should be possible to rotate it, so it follows your model.
Are you able to share the model?

Cheers,

zooropa

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on December 19, 2017, 11:36:29 PM
Hi Zooropa.

For the test above - did you try and move/rotate the wood texture? It should be possible to rotate it, so it follows your model.
Are you able to share the model?

Cheers,

Hi Esben . I do not want to take your time. I will try again to move the texture with the ''locator''  I find it a little bit tricky. I honestly might need to spend more time. I will try. I can share the model and try outs in private if that is ok . I am trying to build this a present it for a contest ;) that is the reason I do not want to put the entire model online. I can share it to you private :)

Esben Oxholm

No problem. I love challenges like this as it help me to learn more about KeyShot :)

I did a quick test with a quick model and couldn't position the wood (advanced) texture as I wanted. Not sure that it is possible after all.

You might be able to get a look that you are after using the marble texture instead. See below. Grab the ksp here: https://we.tl/zR5nTienEg

zooropa

Looks you got into something. The 'problem' its that I need to replicate a realistic wood. I am planning to make a furniture in an archviz within KS. I am not sure how far can I get with marble or wood advance.

I sent you an email long time ago. Do you want me to use that email or you have a preferred one for this cases.

I really appreciate your interest!

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: zooropa on December 20, 2017, 06:01:53 AM
Looks you got into something. The 'problem' its that I need to replicate a realistic wood. I am planning to make a furniture in an archviz within KS. I am not sure how far can I get with marble or wood advance.
I sent you an email long time ago. Do you want me to use that email or you have a preferred one for this cases.

All right. Might have missed that one. The particular model is not important in this case.
A reference image of what kind of wooden look that you are after would be helpful. It can take a ton of different appearances based on the type of wood, processing and finishing as you probably know :)

zooropa

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on December 20, 2017, 08:51:08 AM
Quote from: zooropa on December 20, 2017, 06:01:53 AM

All right. Might have missed that one. The particular model is not important in this case.
A reference image of what kind of wooden look that you are after would be helpful. It can take a ton of different appearances based on the type of wood, processing and finishing as you probably know :)

I am going to use an arroway texture (comes already with Diffuse, reflection and bump).

In case I need to use the native procedural wood. Mmm I did not decide an specific one. Do you think I can achieve a photorealistic wood with procedurals  ? ? ?? I might need to decide first which one I was going to use from Arroway...and then try to mimic. Thanks a lot! I need to test your tip of positioning it.

PS. Are you planning to do a tutorial for furniture/wood designers? ? ? ?  It is so hard to find good tutorials about wood material!