Retina mode

Started by zooropa, December 15, 2017, 11:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zooropa

I am trying to find insights abut this mode in the manual...nothing.
Maybe this is a silly question. Why exactly should I use Retina mode ?
When I activate it the FPS seems to drop a lot.

http://g.recordit.co/aFMcrLtJhj.gif
The size of the preview changes from 1920 x 1080 (Retina on) to 960 x 540 px (retina off) . Still the window looks the same size...
Is it the render different quality ? I can not see it.

Any idea where I can read about the Retina mode , how does it work and when is good to use it ? I am just curious...I have a mac book pro retina...I would like to know if having less FPS has an advantage on other aspects which I ignore.

Thanks a lot!

Esben Oxholm

Retina mode is available when you have a retina display. When activating it you'll double the resolution of the real time view and thus making the fps slower because there are way more pixels to calculate. You should be able to see, if you look closely, that the amount of pixels changes.

zooropa

Yes I can see! I am just wondering if it worth to have it activate...since at the end when you render...you are not using 'retina', but a fixed pixel dimension that ''we decided'' . Do you use it  ? Do you have it active while you work for example ?

Thanks Esben!

Will Gibbons

It's completely up to you. Like Esben said, it'll slow down your real-time. I don't ever want to slow down my real-time rendering. The one time I might use it is if I wanted to simply take a screenshot of the RT view but wanted a higher resolution than it was set to by default.

If you plan on using the offline render dialogue, there's no need to activate retina mode.

TGS808

Because it doubles the resolution in the same size window (the real time view) you will notice better antialiasing when Retina mode is turned on. The image will be sharper and clearer. It's a slight, but noticeable difference on the iMac 5k display. I'm not sure how noticeable it will be on a laptop display. I find it's worth turning on and off during workflow to check materials and labels.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: TGS808 on December 18, 2017, 11:35:24 AM
Because it doubles the resolution in the same size window (the real time view) you will notice better antialiasing when Retina mode is turned on. The image will be sharper and clearer. It's a slight, but noticeable difference on the iMac 5k display. I'm not sure how noticeable it will be on a laptop display. I find it's worth turning on and off during workflow to check materials and labels.

I didn't think of that. Good point.

TGS808

zooropa

Thanks to all. Ok I decided ; )