C4D camera animation

Started by Weezer, January 08, 2018, 09:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weezer

Is there any reason why an animated C4D camera won't appear in KeyShot? When using the C4D plugin I can export the camera and the animation tracks, but when I hit play,  the movement stays at frame 1. Is there a specific way to set it up or anything? Thanks.

mattjgerard

I have not tried to use an animated camera, that's an interesting idea. I wonder if exporting an alembic file would work instead of the KS plugin? I've not the time to try now, but I have had great success with C4D mograph cloners, sweeps and extrude objects! Its working pretty well!

Weezer

Yeah, the link between the two is pretty good – works with a lot of plugins I've tried, including Forester.  The Alembic export works for the camera move, but it's odd that it seems to import everything using the plugin, but the animation doesn't work. A bug maybe?

mattjgerard

Might be something that they haven't included in the export yet. They did a lot of development on the alembic abilities of KS in this last update, and that covers a lot more modeling packages than just C4D, so I understand why they may have passed this up. Would be great to have it work though. I did some work with them regarding normals and normals directions when exporting via the plugin, and that got fixed so they are really good at listening and fixing it if they can.

I haven't gotten the chance to play with Forester, but I do have X-particles, and that works too as long as there is geo assigned to the particles, and trails have to handled a certain way. I just did stills with it, no animations yet. But still playing!

Weezer

How did you get XP working? I've tried with spheres and caching the sim, but nothing shows up...

mattjgerard

I'll take a look and see if I can remember, it was a while ago. I might still have the project floating around, it was one of those I did when work was a little slow and i was bored.