Backup Material and Material Template Settings

Started by Mario Stockinger, January 10, 2018, 06:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario Stockinger

I want to reinstall windows on the pc that is running keyshot - i switch from W7Pro to W10Pro

I have created a lot material groups and material templates - are they all stored in the keyshot default user folder ?
Do i have to export registry keys too ?

I guess i have to deactivate the licence first before i format the disk ?

Will Gibbons

Good question.

If you have not saved items in any directory besides the default, everything should be in the KeyShot directory.

On a PC, the KeyShot directory will be in one of two places, depending on how you installed KeyShot.
- When you install KeyShot for only you, "just for me" the directory will be in 'C:\Users\username\Appdata\Local\KeyShot7"
- When you install KeyShot for all users, "everyone" the directory will be in 'C:\Users\username\Documents\KeyShot7"

You can be 100% certain by launching KeyShot click on Edit>Preferences>Folders. If it shows 'Specify Location for All Folders' you'll see that all your KeyShot assets are indeed contained in one directory folder. It will display the path/location of this directory. You can copy this folder to an external drive or back it up elsewhere and then place it back into your drive once it's been formatted. Everything should be retained/saved.

If you've specified additional or different locations for your assets, you'll need to copy those manually, then restore them by re-pointing KeyShot's preferences to each folder once you've replaced them on the new drive.

Hope that helps.

Mario Stockinger

I did a backup from the keyshot folder for the Public User Folder in Windows because i installed keyshot for all users. So all files where stored there.

After the re-installation i copied "my material and texture files" back and then they where available in KS7.

The only problem was that i could not activate the KS7 licence - hat to use a request file. KS7 could not reach the activation Server for unknown reason.