label mapped over two materials

Started by wolf, January 11, 2018, 01:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf

Please can someone tell me if its possible to map a label across two different materials. We have a plastic moulded product with polished and rough areas that we can print onto but in Keyshot I can't see how to get a label to map across two materials. It would speed up my workflow significantly if I could do that.

Currently I have to render the same scene twice and then use photoshop to create the effect.

If I am missing something please let me know. I am using KS 6 but I have paid for the KS 7 upgrade.

Thank you in advance

Robert

designgestalt

hello Robert,
all I can offer you at the moment is a workaround, that might help you ...
If I had to do it, I would do it this way:
1) adjust one of the materials to your needs and apply the graphic in the right size and place.
2)now apply this material also onto your second surface
3) now unlink the material (click Right Mouse Button on your second surface and choose the according option in the window )
4a) you can now either change your material properties on the second surface to your needs or ...
4b)apply a material from the material library while holding the CTRL button pressed. this will keep the label from the former material in same size and place.
I wouldn't know of any other way of solving this problem.
maybe there is a more professional way, which I don't know of ...
hope that helps
designgestalt

mattjgerard

Quote from: designgestalt on January 11, 2018, 09:14:05 AM
hello Robert,
all I can offer you at the moment is a workaround, that might help you ...
If I had to do it, I would do it this way:
1) adjust one of the materials to your needs and apply the graphic in the right size and place.
2)now apply this material also onto your second surface
3) now unlink the material (click Right Mouse Button on your second surface and choose the according option in the window )
4a) you can now either change your material properties on the second surface to your needs or ...
4b)apply a material from the material library while holding the CTRL button pressed. this will keep the label from the former material in same size and place.
I wouldn't know of any other way of solving this problem.
maybe there is a more professional way, which I don't know of ...
hope that helps
designgestalt

^^^ Beat me to it. Have had to do this a couple of times.

wolf

Thankyou Designgestalt, Genuis! Totally works.

Basically, holding CTRL whilst changing material is exactly what I wanted to know and completely solves the problem.
I would write the solution as follows.

- Link the two parts and apply the label in the correct position
- hold down CTRL and drag the correct material onto the desired part

Thank you do much!

designgestalt