Cores overheating and fans running like crazy

Started by chrisb, January 11, 2018, 05:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisb

Hi,
Windows 10 , 64 bit, Thinkpad Lenevo, intel Xeon CPU E3 1535M v6 @ 3.10 GHZ, RAM 32, Intel HD Grpahics P630, Nvidia Quadro M2200
KeyShot Version 7.2.109
Plugin KEYSHOTSOLIDEDGE
Solide Edge ST8

/ / /
Simply open the smallest bip and CPU is at 100%
the fans are noisy like crazy but even when I modify CPU speed down to 25 % in keyshot fans run slower but are still running like crazy and noisy.

Thank you so much for your feedback and help.

Chris

mattjgerard

Doesn't' matter the complexity of the file , KS will run your cores to the max up to your limit. Simple scenes will just up-res faster than complex scenes. Keyshot is designed to use the CPU to its fullest potential and most computer designs (Especially laptops) aren't necessarily designed to have their CPUS running balls to the wall all the time, so the thermal systems need to go into overdrive to compensate.

Keep an eye on your temps, if those are in line then nothing to worry about. I have a 2015 15" macbook pro, and I had it for almost 6 months before I heard the fans kick in. I edited videos, after effects, animations, encoding, and never heard the fans go until I rendered something out of Cinema 4D which is a CPU based renderer. The cores slammed to 100% and 10 seconds later the thermal system freaked out and and the fans went to 100% and it sounded like an remote control jet about to take off my desk. Temps were fine, the system was working, but I swear I could see beads of sweat dripping out of the usb ports when it was done :)

Watch the temps, and just monitor the systems. Keyshot is working as it should, using the fullest potential of you machine in ways few other programs will.

chrisb

Hi Matt and thanks for your quick answer.

I'm surprised ai I used to run keyshot 6 ona old Toshiba and it never did that. and here I have a pretty powerful laptop.

Temps don't seem to good they have already increased by 10° writing you.  Ambient temp. is now almost 50° with keyshot running for 5 min doing nothing...
Air coming is quite hot . . .

Feels like a jumbo jet is about to take off in my office. . .
Any more help from your side or is it just a matter of my laptop not cooling down correctly.

chrisb

here a printscreen of the ambient temp at 50°C

mattjgerard

I'm not sure if those are out of line or not, I'm not a huge PC guy and don't know what temps are high but safe. You would need to refer to Lenovo tech support for that sort of thing. I would ask them what is acceptable for temps and outward signs of overheating. Its scary  how loud and hot our lappy's get, but with all the tech and high power CPU's packed in with little to no breathing room at all, its no wonder the air coming out of it is hot!

Will Gibbons

A couple of those cores look hot. I try to keep mine below 75C on my tower (but that's liquid-cooled) though, many chips are able to go higher without much performance issues. I'm pretty sure your computer's motherboard BIOS/UEFI settings will tell it when to shut down and what temps are acceptable. You can manually change this, but manufacturers set them low to ensure there's no hardware damage.

Since you can't change how your CPU is cooled due to this being a laptop, I'd check to see if there's something going on with the fan curves. Depending on how fans are connected to the motherboard, they either will or will not speed up based upon internal component temperatures. Sounds like yours are, which is good, but perhaps they need to run even faster, which potentially could be done with an app.

Perhaps, one or more fans are underperforming? Could the vents be dusty or obstructed?

I'd try using HWMonitor to verify if your temps are accurate (if they match those shown on your current screenshot). I'd then contact Lenovo, to see if they have any ideas. Usually, overheating is a hardware/BIOS/overclocking issue because the computer should be able to run at max usage without issues. If its fans and voltage settings are good, KeyShot shouldn't be able to overheat your CPU.

designgestalt

for a notebook the temperatures look quite ok, they are usually higher than on a tower...
however, it also might be, that your fans collected dust or one of the outlets starts to get blocked.
even though if there is only a small amount of dust sitting on the fans, they will start to get really loud and the temperatures are going up!
I  still have an old Sony Vaio notebook , that I use for personal stuff, that needs to be cleaned once a year or else it sound like it is about to take off !
But also my Dell Precision workstation notebook clogs up every once in a while...
get a can of compressed air cleaner !
It already helps, to spray directly into the fans and air outlets (when the machine is not running, of course!), but it is even better, when you take off the back lid !
don't worry, when the fans ice up, when you spray directly onto them, just don't exaggerate it ! you do not want to have melting water on your motherboard ...
maybe it helps ....

designgestalt

theAVator

As was mentioned earlier Keyshot is supposed to use 100% of the possible cores. So  an 8 core machine set to 100% is going to run all 8 cores at 100%. But then I believe reducing the percentage is still going to run the used cores at 100% - for example, setting it to 50% it will then run 4 cores at 100%, or set to 25% and it will run 2 cores at 100%. Can somebody else confirm these statements are true?

If those statements are true, then you still have cores operating at max and requiring as much cooling as they can get - hence why the fans prolly still take off when running a lower percentage of the whole.

I know on my old laptop even just running Adobe programs set it off like a jumbo jet. Biggest thing that helped me was propping it up to get a good airflow around and into the fan intake ports and ensuring there wasn't anything up close to the exhaust port. The more fresh air it takes in, and the faster you can get the hot air away from the system, the better.

mattjgerard

^^^This. Laptops aren't engineered to be run at 100% load very much, unless it is purpose built for that. Being an on-site video editor and motion graphics artist for 15 years has taught me much about keeping laptops cool. And that they are generally quite tough when it comes to thermal design. Running mostly macs I'm used to editing with headphones on since the fans on those laptops are usually fairly quiet until they actually start to work doing some encoding or rendering, then its all bets off.

chrisb

Thanks for all your feedbacks.

My notebook is brand new, so no worries about dust and stuff.
I will run a diagnostic though.

Yes the Avator that's correct.
It's ok (still quite load) working at 25%.

Thanks. Chris

mattjgerard

Quote from: theAVator on January 16, 2018, 04:38:26 AM
As was mentioned earlier Keyshot is supposed to use 100% of the possible cores. So  an 8 core machine set to 100% is going to run all 8 cores at 100%. But then I believe reducing the percentage is still going to run the used cores at 100% - for example, setting it to 50% it will then run 4 cores at 100%, or set to 25% and it will run 2 cores at 100%. Can somebody else confirm these statements are true?

Just confirmed. I have 24 cores, and set to 50% and it peeled off half the cores to next to nothing and the used cores are still near 100%. So much for load balancing :) But its probably more efficient by just turning cores off instead of trying to negotiate with the system to see what cores are being used for other apps.