Main Menu

PSD Preview macOS

Started by PeterSwift, January 17, 2018, 06:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterSwift

Im not sure if it's a problem or just a limitation in the software. But every render from keyshot is Black in the preview on Mac.   When i open my PSD, and resave it, it works fine.
Maybe keyshot needs to save the PSD in another way to be able to preview it.

Thanks a lot.
Keep up the good work.

mattjgerard

Sam in windows 7. There is no thumbnail for raw PS files  frech out of KS. OPen and save, and there it is. Plus the file size shrinks waaaaaay down. Would be neat if KS could include a thumbnail in the render file.

Note: thumbnails are there for most other standard image types, jpg and png, ex.

Will Gibbons

If you have Photoshop on your machine, I think you can make it the default program to open it... and it should be capable of generating a thumbnail preview in finder. On my windows machine, I downloaded an extra program that is made for displaying thumbnails of 'special' file types and it includes every kind of 32 bit image and video format you could think of.

mattjgerard

So we are correct in thinking that KS does not embed a thumbnail into the PSD file when it writes it? Just making sure. I'm not a windows guy so I'm not sure how to assign default programs and what renders the  thumbnails. I think photoshop is my default editor, as if I double click on a file it opens PS. But it will only generate a thumbnail if I change some small thing in the file (I'm always adding white backgrounds) then save it, then it will save with the thumbnail.

PeterSwift

It's something to do with KS. As Mattjgerard says i think. becouse It's my default program and Mac natively support PSD preview. but for it to work i need to resave it. So Keyshot should change how they save the files. It shouldn't be impossible. I hope . :)

PeterSwift

So please it would be grreat if you fixed this. Everyone complains about this with keyshot to be honest. But I guess the windows users are used to it.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: PeterSwift on January 23, 2018, 11:33:59 AM
Everyone complains about this with keyshot to be honest.

To be honest, this is the first time I'm reading this complaint and I work with KeyShot users at companies every single week, so this is surprising to read. If this is a big issue for you, your options are to:

1. Spend a few bucks like I did to fix the issue immediately using a 3rd party app.
- or -
2. Request it as a feature to support@luxion.com and hopefully it'll be implemented for KeyShot 8 if it is indeed something we can fix.

PeterSwift

I don't think they have third party applications for something that's has been built into MacOS for years.
it's quite important to see what we are rendering.  Sometimes less of an issue sometimes more when we have a higher volume.
It's great they have the passes hidden in  PSD now then just need to fix this as well :)
So yes I did send them an email.

mattjgerard

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 17, 2018, 10:59:36 AM
If you have Photoshop on your machine, I think you can make it the default program to open it... and it should be capable of generating a thumbnail preview in finder. On my windows machine, I downloaded an extra program that is made for displaying thumbnails of 'special' file types and it includes every kind of 32 bit image and video format you could think of.

Which app was this that generated the previews? I'm willing to dump something into it to make sure that I get the functions I like to have. I was a mac user for 20 years, we were always looking for little utilities to do stuff apple wouldn't.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mattjgerard on February 01, 2018, 07:18:52 AM

Which app was this that generated the previews? I'm willing to dump something into it to make sure that I get the functions I like to have. I was a mac user for 20 years, we were always looking for little utilities to do stuff apple wouldn't.

I bought this and am plenty happy with it. It's $10 and I'm quick to spend money to remove frustrations in my life, especially when it's not that expensive. It was slow to start, but after rebooting, I think it's been a bit faster. On my M.2 drives it's very fast, but on my archive 7200rpm HDD it's a bit slow, but that's not the application's fault, rather my hardware. https://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

mattjgerard

Quote from: Will Gibbons on February 02, 2018, 10:12:22 AM
Quote from: mattjgerard on February 01, 2018, 07:18:52 AM

I bought this and am plenty happy with it. It's $10 and I'm quick to spend money to remove frustrations in my life, especially when it's not that expensive. It was slow to start, but after rebooting, I think it's been a bit faster. On my M.2 drives it's very fast, but on my archive 7200rpm HDD it's a bit slow, but that's not the application's fault, rather my hardware. https://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

Thanks for that, I'll probably grab this. I'm in the same frame of mind. I'd rather just shell out a few bucks for a well thought out solution rather than fighting it. MOst of my work is on a spinning drive, but IT is pretty skimpy with dishing out the SSD's. At least my startup drive is an SSD.