Keyshot 7 - Normal projection is gone?

Started by shany78, January 23, 2018, 05:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shany78

Hi.

I do a lot of labelling on packaging box. Used to have the Normal Projection option to apply artwork labels on each side of the packaging box, but now the normal projection option is gone.

What is other option to apply label? For me planar doesn't work so much because it doesn't rotate when we move/rotate models.

There is new option called 'node' in the mapping type but can't find any help on how to use it.

Please help. All I need is to apply label on each side of the packaging box (square/rectangular).

Thank you.

INNEO_MWo

Hello

Have you ever used the default mapping type of labels? Just activate the move / position tool and be surprised how good the new projection work. It is not necessary to switch to orthographic camera if working with normal projection.
KeyShot7 have great label mapping features.
Just look into the KS7 videos in the YouTube channel by Luxion.

Cheers
Marco

shany78

Usually, I use the normal projection to put the label. Now the normal projection is gone & replace with just planar (which Luxion say is replacing the normal projection, planar X, Y, Z) on the previous version.

No problem if with just one model in the scene. Problem now is when I have more than one model and I try to rotate the other model and this planar setup is not maintaining the label direction (front positioning) of the model.

There isn't much setting that available to set this new planar setup. Did I miss something about this new feature? Ive tried all possible setting but just couldn't figure it out.

INNEO_MWo

hm - I can't find a solution in KeyShot 7.2(.109) - but the UV mapping type, if your modeling tool provide these.

Perhaps that would help a bit.

PS: The projection type 'node' is to connect a label (graphic file) with a procedural mesh (texture). Just connect the 2D mesh in the material graph with the image (node) and set the mapping of the label to 'node' - that's all
(see attached KSP for details)

Cheers
Marco

shany78

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it with no luck yet...

Will Gibbons

Marco, in your example though, you modeled the surface of the label in such a manner that it would have continuous UV flow, right?

INNEO_MWo

Hello Will.
Yes I did. And for some cases it is possible in Creo Parametric (that I used to model the bottle).
The label works quite well IMHO.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: MWo on February 01, 2018, 10:17:13 PM
Hello Will.
Yes I did. And for some cases it is possible in Creo Parametric (that I used to model the bottle).
The label works quite well IMHO.

Right. I'd do the same thing in Fusion 360. Might be worth noting to anyone else reading this that you can achieve the same using a swept surface in most CAD programs.