Main Menu

Ice Cold Coca-Cola

Started by Benny L, February 06, 2018, 09:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny L

Modeled most of it myself and nothing downloaded or purchased.  Trying to build this up from scratch essentially.
I'll post this here as a starting point and as a WIP.  I do have some plans on refining it but I like to share WIP to get some feedback before I keep going.

With that in mind, please share your feedback/critique :)

DMerz III

Very nice man, what are you using to model?

I have been working on projects a lot lately with water condensation (drops), been trying to find the most successful solution, what's been your method if you don't mind me asking!?

Thanks,
David M

mattjgerard

I found this place for a Cinema 4D plugin script for this sort of thing. Ihaven't had the use for it but I'm itching to find a project to use this stuff on.

https://c4dphototools.com/shop/

DMerz III

:D cool set of tools, thanks for sharing. I am partial to Blender3D myself over C4D, hoping to find similar tools for that. Right now, doing everything by hand using a particle system. Fairly okay results, once I get something I am proud of I'll be sure to share.

NM-92

Quote from: DMerz III on February 06, 2018, 12:46:58 PM
Right now, doing everything by hand using a particle system. Fairly okay results, once I get something I am proud of I'll be sure to share.

I think this is the way to go if you have the time to do it. Every model needs it's tweaking and maybe some set of drops doesn't suit every kind of models, so you'll have to remodel them in order to get them to look just right. Generally when there are droplets, a close up is involved, so sometimes they need to get the same ammount of attention and dedication as the model itself.

Benny L

Quote from: NM-92 on February 08, 2018, 10:00:01 AM

I think this is the way to go if you have the time to do it. Every model needs it's tweaking and maybe some set of drops doesn't suit every kind of models, so you'll have to remodel them in order to get them to look just right. Generally when there are droplets, a close up is involved, so sometimes they need to get the same ammount of attention and dedication as the model itself.

I couldn't agree more; one of the reasons I wanted to show an unfinished raw WIP shot is to give people an idea the amount of work and attention it would take to get them done well or properly for shots like these. Not just simply a before and after but rather the journey it takes to get to that shot.
(Assuming you didn't buy or download the model)
I'm in the middle of refining smaller details now and hope to share an update soon.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Very cool Benny! Makes me want to give it a shot myself.

DMerz III

Benny, I've been playing around with droplets on glass a lot myself lately. In my tests, I am having pretty good success with removing the backside of the drop (so it is just the convex shape of the drop butting up to the edge of the glass, but no under-laying surface between the shape of the drop and the glass (rear surface of the drop). Are you using this approach by chance? Just wondering!

DMerz III

;) Rendering a little region for ya right now. Will update when it is done.

DMerz III

:) Here ya go. This is a little region render of what I'm working on at the moment. (can't show the whole bottle, sorry).

Drops were modeled in blender, used a particle system to distribute. Then used the bottle geometry to Boolean the droplets and deleted the back surface of the drops
(easier than it sounds). For us, this is giving a much 'cleaner' render in shorter time because there isn't glass/drop surface interaction to calculate. This is with caustics turned off, and product mode at 1200 render samples.

The IOR of the glass is 1.65 and the drops are 1.25 or 1.3 (can't remember, I know it is slightly less than real-world measurements, but it has been giving the best results for the render time we're after.) For a more constrast-y looking drop, you can raise that value. We do a little contrast/color adjustment in post, just curves really, not much and regains the contrast we want.

Again, this is what is working the best for me at the moment, with our lighting and speed requirements, could be a different boat for you?

cjwidd

This is incredible, everything +1. Any tips on achieving the Georgia green?

Will Gibbons

Great work! Nice execution.

Esben Oxholm

Great work, Benny!
It looks really good - although that bottle cap seems a bit to 'untouched'. Would be cool if it was bend.

Cheers,

cjwidd

Quote from: Benny L on February 25, 2018, 07:26:14 PM
Quote from: cjwidd on February 25, 2018, 06:31:06 PM
This is incredible, everything +1. Any tips on achieving the Georgia green?

Honestly, it's mostly playing with IOR and color until I get the green I'm looking for. I kinda stare at these everyday so I have an idea of what to look for. :)

Very cool man, thank you for sharing :)

Josh3D

So good Benny! LOVE the lighting.