import/export only Part of keyshot file

Started by andy.engelkemier, February 07, 2018, 10:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

This happens often to us. My preference would be to select which part of a file I want to import. That way, I don't have to keep an extra file.

I have one file with lots of materials and objects in it. Then someone says, Hey, grab this one model out of that group and add it to this one.
Well, now I have to open that file, delete all the objects I don't want, save it as a copy. Then I can import it.

It would save some time, and spare files if I could just select which groups to import.

You should also Always be able to not import cameras and have the option to merge existing materials if they exist.

Will Gibbons

We have this. Simply select the model you want, right-click it (in the scene tree) and create new model set. Then, File>Save Active Model Sets. And KeyShot exports what is currently active.

theAVator

Quote from: Will Gibbons on February 08, 2018, 08:55:02 AM
We have this. Simply select the model you want, right-click it (in the scene tree) and create new model set. Then, File>Save Active Model Sets. And KeyShot exports what is currently active.

That's cool, I was looking to do this just last week. Now I know! And knowing is half the battle!

So at this point can you pick and choose which model sets it exports, or does it just do them all by default, or just only the currently active set? And how does it handle things like lighting, backplates, cameras, any modified materials, etc?

andy.engelkemier

I very much appreciate the feedback. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not intending to complain. That's why I'm putting this in wishlist.
This solutions is sort of a roundabout way, but that's definitely easier than deleting all the other objects and saving a copy of the file.
This still requires you to save a copy of that file to import though. So it's a good solution, but it could be better.

It would be speedier, as well as save hard drive space, if you could just import what you need without having to first export.

My preference would be to choose which parts of the model tree to import. But if people are using model sets, maybe that would be nice for them.

If it's not near impossible, this same feature could actually be used when importing things like step files and other filetypes that keep an assembly tree of sorts. Maybe you only need to import one piece. Rather than importing the entire thing, then deleting the things you don't need...just import the one part if you happen to know where it is in the tree.

KeyShot

I do think this could be a good idea. We will think about it.