Advice

Started by jackynikola, February 07, 2018, 04:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackynikola

Hi. Guys, I have to make custom mini itx pc case and later on a commercial for it. Its final exam on my university. I have done modeling and texturing. But I feel like textures are not realistic enough. Please give me some advice before I start animation.

TGS808

This is looking good so far. To take it further, a good (and easy) start would be to assign proper materials and colors to all the ports, ins, and outs that are visible in image 55. I've never seen any that were all black like that.

DriesV

Hi,

I would try one of the Mold-Tech materials for the housing. Those materials have a nice granular texture.
Apart from that, I would focus on creating more interesting lighting with more contrast. Better lighting will also improve the appearance of your materials.

As for the design of the PC itself, it seems to me like this configuration would easily start rolling. Have you considered adding a matching pedestal, to eliminate any rolling?
Attached is my attempt. :)

Dries

DriesV

Here is a link to the scene, in case you are interested.
https://we.tl/WWEwyhTrdD

Dries

jackynikola

Thanks for help guys. Light has to be set up for animation purposes. I use just basic 3 panel light. The problem that I am finding with keyshot is that it doesn't look realistic in comparison to V-ray. Maybe If I add some imperfections like miscoloration or dust/...

crankin

Id be adding textures to the surfaces to make them look less cgi-like. Real world textures always have some kind of dimple or bump, so add these to the materials and you will get more realistic renders. I use the cellular texture a lot, with a very small scale and bump height. also use bump maps to add texture. You will see a big improvement when  you start doing this.

crankin

Id also look at using different lighting. Basic 3 panel might be easy to implement, but you can make it look better if you play with the light setup. It's all about lighting and texturing  the materials.  I can't say which one will work best, it just requires experimenting with different setups.

NM-92

Just to add something. I wouldn't add dust and imperfections if you want to make an advertising out of it. Just follow Dries advice and work on the lighting. Also +1 on the ports materials comment. Finish setting every material up, and then you can start adding textures to make them more accurate. But before this i'd setup my cameras and lighting studio to see how they look.