Aiming Lights--if possible.

Started by Artbot, February 14, 2018, 07:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artbot

Greetings,
I am now using Keyshot 7.2 and I am wondering what is the best way to aim a light onto my subject? I see with the move tool -- and while using a disc for my light, I can rotate, scale and angle my light-but I don't understand how to shine it in the proper directon. I also set my scene render to 'production' to be able to see results faster, but I do not seem to effectively be able to position my lights onto my subject matter. I am trying to illuminate specific parts on a baby (cherub) face. I tried all the different varieties of lights available. I even made one spotlight blue to make the baby's left eye bluer-but no luck. I tried the move tool "pick" but while that will pivot around a chosen object, I am still not experiencing a "look at" control. There is nothing that comes up when I write "aim" in the Keyshot manual. I am most likely missing something and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction :)

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Artbot on February 14, 2018, 07:50:22 PM
Greetings,
I am now using Keyshot 7.2 and I am wondering what is the best way to aim a light onto my subject? I see with the move tool -- and while using a disc for my light, I can rotate, scale and angle my light-but I don't understand how to shine it in the proper directon.
Try applying an IES light profile to the disc, then rotate the disc.

I also set my scene render to 'production' to be able to see results faster, but I do not seem to effectively be able to position my lights onto my subject matter.

I think you mean Performance, not Production. Performance mode will DECREASE settings to speed up KeyShot, not INCREASE settings (which would slow KeyShot down). Performance will disable things like ground illumination and physical lights won't work or appear correct, so do not use performance mode in this scenario.

I tried the move tool "pick" but while that will pivot around a chosen object, I am still not experiencing a "look at" control.
Search the Move Tool and you will find that you can select a pivot. By default, the pivot is set to 'self' which means the middle of the object that is selected. Click the 'pick pivot' button and select the item you wish to pivot around and then the move tool snaps to that item. Then rotate the move tool and your object will rotate around the pivot.

Artbot

Thank you Will for your quick response. I guess Performance mode was my biggest mistake. What a difference turning that off. I thought until I rendered, that I could move around faster with it on. I wasn't aware that it stopped my from seeing the effect of my lights in full.
I spent the day watching tons of YouTube tutorials, so I look forward to going back to my Image and working with all I've discovered.