Main Menu

Children's stuff

Started by Avsha, February 15, 2018, 08:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avsha

Hi people.

I am working on a new line of plywood furniture items I designed for children.
These are the first "passing" shots I rendered.
At first I have had hard times to get birch plywood correctly but with some help from nicordf I got on track and started to get closer to the detailing that i wish for.
But still.....I am never satisfied with my renderings. So, feel free to comment or suggest for improvements.

Avsha.

Josh3D

Lovely design. I think that plywood is pretty close. Perhaps the contrast could be a little higher or some different lighting to help pick up the grain just a little bit more.

Oh, and as a dad of 5 owning multiple bunkbeds, please think of having to move it to different room - pitched a couple ikea bunkbeds because they required near complete dismantling to get through a doorway! :)

DMerz III

I think you're halfway there, you have good models and good materials, but your lighting is verrrrry basic.
Lighting is your missing element. You have zero contrast in your lighting, and there are plenty of examples of how to get a better result all over this forum, just do a quick search.

mattjgerard

Quote from: Josh Mings on February 15, 2018, 09:43:37 AM
Lovely design. I think that plywood is pretty close. Perhaps the contrast could be a little higher or some different lighting to help pick up the grain just a little bit more.

Oh, and as a dad of 5 owning multiple bunkbeds, please think of having to move it to different room - pitched a couple ikea bunkbeds because they required near complete dismantling to get through a doorway! :)

Got me by one! My 3 boys share the big room downstairs, and I couldn't find anything that looked cool like this stuff, so  I had the boys help me build a 3 bed corner bunk. That monster will have to be deconstructed to move out, but at least its all carriage bolts and should come apart easy or stay with the house if we move :)

Looking good so far, but agree on the lighting, its a bit washed out for my taste but it really depends on what look you are going for. I do google image searches for stuff I like and build a library of looks to try to emulate.

Avsha

Hey guys.

Thanks for the quick response and advises. I have two things to add after what some of you said:
Firstly, for the fathers among us, the idea of the product is that the bed is a flat packed - self assembled - modular bed. When the elder kid needs a large bed you start with a single, or even better, with a loft bed. Then when you have a second child, you get only the "bottom base bed" and that way you complete a bunk bed. When kids start fighting, you can separate the bed by getting only the "single bed legs" to separate the beds. Here is the process.

Secondly, my difficulty with plywood is that its wood pattern is very soft comparing with other types of furniture woods. The grains refract light differently with various types of light; the "side" light from behind is brighter and supposed to highlight the strong contrast in roughness made by the wood grains. In the other hand the "front" flat light is supposed to express the birch wood color and softer contrast pattern. Somehow I can't get them both for the same shot.

Here I attach an earlier test to show higher contrast which was unrealistic to my eyes. See and decide for yourselves.

Josh3D

Cool idea indeed. I love the loft option.

On the material, I think the grain looks good, but I agree with David. There are a couple ways you could approach it. You could test out the HDRIs to find one that's close to what you like, then modify it or create your own based on the light location. Or, you could drop in the All Black HDRI and add physical lights to get the lighting you want.

Also, do try some cooler (bluer) or warmer (orange) lighting, instead of the bright white as well, or a combo of both.

Avsha

Hi again

After reconstructing Birch Plywood material several times, in various methods, I got a result I could live with. I am sure it could get better but I must move on now.
Please comment if you think it could get better.